The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (frogfarmer), 116 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
I have an old grease gun that I use every so often. The problem is that anywhere I put it, it leaves a mess. I clean it with thinner after I use it, but the next time I use it, the outside is covered in, I guess grease that's leaked out. I can't remember what type of grease cartridge is in it. What should I look at to stop this leak?
The mess it leaves lookes like 30w oil was wiped on the gun and poured on the shelf where I keep it.


Union, Justice and Confidence
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
I've got 2 guns that do the same thing - partly heat, cause I've noticed it's worse in the summer - what I do is keep an old heavy cotton sport sock pulled up on it, and park it where it won't matter much - guess keepin it in the fridge might slow it down!!
grin
also - hang it by the top rather than layin it on a shelf.

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 208
Thanks for the sock idea, Squeeze!


Union, Justice and Confidence
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
I keep my grease gun hanging on a hook in a stud bay and I have an old pair of gloves with it which I use to handle it. Hanging it by the top DEFINITELY makes a difference and I only get trouble when it is lying down on a shelf in the summer and the heat gets at it.

I know it's generally cold down there in LA but when you get the occassional hot weather keep your grease gun upright.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
hanging it by the top does make a difference. it drips in the floor so you can slip up on it but at least it don't get the shelf dirty. Better to have a clean shelf than a busted noggin. :p


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Why not put it in an ammo box to contain the area where it leaks when stored? smile


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
Swampcat: Being an old farm boy had to use one all my life. 1st thing in morning senior popcorn and I would grease all fittings, then we would pull tube handle back and lock it. Hang grease gun by top with rag around hose. Dripping stops.
popcorn The Truth is Out There (Everybody have a good Sunday)

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Put in a zip-lock and keep it in the freezer! grin Just don't let the wife find it, or she might use it on your supper! eek


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0