The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (1955 1 Series, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 125 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 192
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 192
I have used the site helping me understand and fix things on my 1949 3100. I now have a 38 truck and am having issues with the battery. The knowledge on here is amazing. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I look forward to being a part on the site.

Last edited by Peggy M; 03/13/2024 10:29 PM. Reason: edit title

1949 3100
Old Blue
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
I think you already found the electrical forum, but welcome here to the 'bolt.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
GradyB, your in good hands here. We are family and you are now brother!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 192
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 192
I have some time this morning to add to my post. The 38 has been running good. Bought it in 2019. Had to pur new headliner in and repainted the various parts around it. Gas tank was removed and repaired as there are no replacements available. While changing oil have discovered she needed a valve cover gasket changed. While doing that discovered a slightly bent push rod. Now I'm working on that issue. This is a true original truck. Hopefully have it all together when the weather breaks to spring. Our collection has almost outgrown our garage. 38, 49, and 57 trucks, 31 chevy coupe, the wife just had to have, and a 79 dune buggy she also just had to have.
Attachments
Resized_20200808_130813(1).jpeg (381.05 KB, 180 downloads)
20210911_091829.jpg (355.83 KB, 166 downloads)


1949 3100
Old Blue
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Love that '38! My Dad had one of those, but it was gone before I was old enough to drive it.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
I share in that sickness, lol! Beautiful trucks!


1953 Chevy 3100
   235, 3 spd. Mostly original so far
"The 1953 that Came Back"
Follow the build in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 192
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 192
Just finished up on replacing the springs on the 49. Did front and rear. Now if the weather clears some I can take for test drive. Sure feels different when stepping on running boards. Doesn't sag down several inches when you get up on it! Even sets a little higher.


1949 3100
Old Blue
In the Gallery Forum
#1544112 04/15/2024 10:43 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 192
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 192
Installed new springs over winter and went for first test drive today. What a difference!
Attachments
20240415_183105.jpg (696.63 KB, 129 downloads)
20240415_180018.jpg (419.56 KB, 128 downloads)

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/16/2024 12:13 AM.

1949 3100
Old Blue
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Great looking truck right there. Really like the painted grille (altho not visible here).


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
That looks like Mariner Blue, which was Ol' Roy's original color.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
What were the issues with the old springs in terms of what was visible?
Worn grooves where the springs rub together?
Broken spring?
Spring eye damaged from the pin wearing all the way through the bushing and into the spring eye?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 192
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 192
The pins were wore thru bushings, 1 broke front spring, and 9 leafs on one side in front. It goes straight down road with not much wandering from side to side. Rides much stiffer now too. Doesn't roll to the side when going around corners.


1949 3100
Old Blue
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
Nice!


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
It's amazing how well a vehicle will ride when you replace steering and suspension components!! Trucks are looking good.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
You got that right RR. I installed proper sized tires and rims and new shocks. Driving is a night and day difference. No steering work was required. I can let go of the wheel at 50 mph and it drives like its on rails.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0