So I'm trying to get oil to rockers by turning motor over with crank pulley. Will this not pump oil enough? Spark plugs are removed so it turns easily. But no oil to rockers. Plugs installed on on passageways on drivers side. No oil at oil pressure port either.
no, not likely. You need to spin the oil pump. Pull the distributor and make a oil priming tool out of an old spare distributor, or get a wood handles screwdriver, remove the handle, check the shaft into a drill and spin the oil pump.
Use a 1/2" capacity corded drill motor- - - -not some weak sister rechargeable. When the pump loads up and the pressure rises, be sure to have a good grip on the handle. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Got really good flow except for one rocker. It didn't seem to want to flow just oozing. Tried cleaning with brake cleaner but no better. I guess my question is do you think it will flush out at some point? I really don't want to disassemble the rockers for just this one rocker. Thanks for your advice.
When I was doing this last year on my 235 ,I jiggled the rockers around and bumped them with a rubber mallet untill I got them all oiling.
1962 C10 with a 235 6cyl -- all of the drive train seems to be original. Some of this story is in the Side Lot Some people like a new truck. I liked the old ones.
Which rocker? If it is not at the very front or the very rear one, I would blow compressed air into the weep hole on the rocker. If the weak rocker is at the end, you should remove the rocker assembly and thoroughly clean the inside of the rocker shafts. When I do that, I knock out the plugs in the ends of them so that I can remove every speck of crud.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Well it was driving me nuts so I took it all apart and cleaned it out. Wasn't much in the tubes but I know it's clear now. Kept everything in the same place and reassembled.
Didn't Shakespeare write a play about being concerned over stovebolt rocker arm oiling- - - - - -"Much Ado About Nothing"! LOL! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Agree Jerry. I worry to much according to my wife. But the bills get paid and she just thinks it's magic I guess. Would not know what to do with out her though.