The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Hotrod Lincoln, cmayna, Wooley, Otto Skorzeny), 118 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,612
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1535251 02/02/2024 7:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
So I'm trying to get oil to rockers by turning motor over with crank pulley. Will this not pump oil enough? Spark plugs are removed so it turns easily. But no oil to rockers. Plugs installed on on passageways on drivers side. No oil at oil pressure port either.
Attachments
17069037418929148120862489396030.jpg (185.58 KB, 170 downloads)
17069037613182240538152881507071.jpg (279.28 KB, 169 downloads)
17069037768806268282114729337340.jpg (162.43 KB, 169 downloads)

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
no, not likely. You need to spin the oil pump. Pull the distributor and make a oil priming tool out of an old spare distributor, or get a wood handles screwdriver, remove the handle, check the shaft into a drill and spin the oil pump.


Mike
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
Did just that. Have oil flow now. Thanks

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Use a 1/2" capacity corded drill motor- - - -not some weak sister rechargeable. When the pump loads up and the pressure rises, be sure to have a good grip on the handle.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
Got really good flow except for one rocker. It didn't seem to want to flow just oozing. Tried cleaning with brake cleaner but no better. I guess my question is do you think it will flush out at some point? I really don't want to disassemble the rockers for just this one rocker. Thanks for your advice.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,458
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,458
Originally Posted by breezy
I really don't want to disassemble the rockers for just this one rocker. Thanks for your advice.

I'd rather do it now rather than wait until things go south!

Last edited by BC59; 02/03/2024 1:43 AM.

BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
When I was doing this last year on my 235 ,I jiggled the rockers around and bumped them with a rubber mallet untill I got them all oiling.


1962 C10 with a 235 6cyl -- all of the drive train seems to be original.
Some of this story is in the Side Lot
Some people like a new truck. I liked the old ones.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
Which rocker? If it is not at the very front or the very rear one, I would blow compressed air into the weep hole on the rocker.
If the weak rocker is at the end, you should remove the rocker assembly and thoroughly clean the inside of the rocker shafts.
When I do that, I knock out the plugs in the ends of them so that I can remove every speck of crud.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
Fourth from the front. It's got a little but nothing near as much as the rest of them. I'll try the compressed air.

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
Well it was driving me nuts so I took it all apart and cleaned it out. Wasn't much in the tubes but I know it's clear now. Kept everything in the same place and reassembled.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Didn't Shakespeare write a play about being concerned over stovebolt rocker arm oiling- - - - - -"Much Ado About Nothing"!
LOL!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
Agree Jerry. I worry to much according to my wife. But the bills get paid and she just thinks it's magic I guess. Would not know what to do with out her though.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,293
Well at least now you have the piece of mind that there isn't any crud in your rocker shafts and there isn't any scoring on your shaft or rocker arms.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0