The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, BCBill), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,178
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#153405 06/23/2007 3:56 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
My neighbor just moved to a smaller place and has what I think is a 1960 or 1961 50 Series Chevrolet truck he can't take. It has some cancer in a couple spots but not bad. Two speed rear end and a hoist. What is something like this worth? I might just make him an offer. grin


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
#153407 06/23/2007 11:26 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Looks nice in the picture but I don't know how much its worth. Maybe he'll just give it to you rather than move it. He might scrap it and you can offer what the junkman offered.


#153408 06/23/2007 12:34 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
That picture you saw at the bottom is my 1954 1 Ton. I just submitted the purchase story to the gallery section yesterday. Back to the big truck, would it most likely have a V8? Possibly a 283 or something? The cancer is really minor and the truck is sporting all of it's original blue paint. I just need some kind of ball park to start the offers. It's a BIG truck and fortunately has enough room to sleep in which will probably be good when my wife finds out......hmmmmm.......her birthday is coming up in July??? grin


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
#153409 06/23/2007 12:37 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
those models are prone to rust above the windshield ,hood and back corners of the front fenders. take a good look and make your offer

#153410 06/23/2007 4:31 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
I always hate it when they tell you to make an offer, because you don't know what they're thinking, and you don't want to insult them. I'd much rather have them set their own price.

Having said that, I'm basically a cheapskate, and would probably start low--maybe $500 or $600 or so, and see what happens. You can always go up.

As has been said here before--it's worth whatever price two people can agree on.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
#153411 06/23/2007 8:16 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Start by just showing an interest and make sure he knows about your trucks some times people appeal to the give it a good home thing that is how I just acquired my new one. It's a 58 or 59 not sure yet but am going to get it tomorrow.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
#153412 06/24/2007 12:41 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
My ex-neighbor who owns the thing unfortunately is the sales manager of a large car dealership here in Rapid City. I'm sure it came in on a trade and he paid almost nothing for it and he probably knows what it's worth. My only hope is nobody else would want it and I could possibly go low with the agreemant he can use it when he wants. Ya never know! ohwell


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
#153413 06/24/2007 5:45 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
If he is a sales manager don't worry about hurting his feelings with an offer that may be to low he certainly wouldn't worry about hurting yours for the deal.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
#153414 06/24/2007 8:24 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
You got a good point!! grin


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
#153415 06/27/2007 4:07 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
OK, talked with my ex-neighbor today. He told me he paid $1800 for the truck and had to have the brakes completely rebuilt. He also said it runs great the hoist works, good tires and he would include the huge plastic water tank he bought for it. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow and fire it up. He is willing to let it go for what he paid for it. I know him and have no reason to believe he's giving me the used car pitch. I'll post a picture and keep you posted. Is $1800 too much?????


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
#153416 06/29/2007 6:28 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 61
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 61
Value depends on if there is a buyer at the price the seller is asking....

I bought a 1977 IH Transtar II for $1125. And that's a sleeper cabover, tandem axle, 13 speed tranny AND Formula 290 Cummins diesel...... (Spent more on tires/rims, but it runs..... ) Just an example.


1948 Dodge 2 ton
1950 GMC 1 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 3/4 ton
#153417 06/29/2007 1:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
Wow, $1800!!? My grandfather would say that a seller has two prices.He has is asking price and his taking price.I would offer him $1000. and see if he counters it or tells you to get lost.


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
#153418 06/29/2007 5:25 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
I am with gtow69 He may even tell you to get lost and call you back later. Could be a fare price but the deal can be half the fun. He is a professional salesman so it's a perfect opportunity to see how good you are, make it fun!


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0