Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
83
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,566 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | I've got my eyes on a '38 big bolt. I'm not to familiar with this age. How rare are parts for this machine? Can someone clue me into a good webpage with technical info. for this year? Is the drivetrain and engine similiar or the same as, say, a late 40's truck? I've got an extra '55 235 sittin' around and a 4spd from a '41. The truck appears to have been parked in the late 90's. It all appears original except the seats and front bumper. The paints starting to peel off with a skim of rust but is still solid, is that a concern? It has a dump bed with hoist. How difficult is that? Just wondering if I should look into this more. I don't see them talked about much, if at all. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | a 216 splash oiler would have been standard in 1938. You run into the same problems with the 38 as with newer ones many of the cab parts interchange with pickups fenders do not as you have a bigger wheel opening. brakes you may have to get relined as they are a different size than what most parts houses stock. inner wheelseals on rear same as the 40's trucks front wheel bearins are ball bearings as opposed to later model roller bearings. Windshield frames have tendency to rot out. benifits they standout even when not fixed up. They are geared very low I've passed a few cars but not many. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Here is a link to a couple of pictures. 1938 Yeah, the windshield is rotted out on this one. I did't get a good look at the floor (raining) but there was a plant growing inside. Were these wood floors? I imagine it was steel and rotted away. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | they had steel floors not sure but 35 may have been one of last for wood floors, Floor has one flat section that extends the width of the cab and encompasses the gear shift. this also covers the battery on the passenger side and the master cylinder on the drivers side. the toe board ( maybe theres a more proper name. goes across the front underneath the pedals the width of the cab and then theres a collar that fits over the steering column to keep the weather out. Also the 38's were still equipped to either hand crank or electric start. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | The pictures show a very nice project. Good luck! | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,727 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,727 | The pre-War Big Bolts are pretty rare and that one looks really solid (even has paint on it still ... mostly ...). Gotta love those Western Trucks! Here on the banks of the Chesapeake Bay, if you want to find rust free you have to either import from your part of the country or buy new!
As KB says, some parts interchange with the smaller trucks on the cab, but restoring that mechanically will be a challenge. A worthwhile one, though! That truck needs to be preserved and restored, and when done, should be a real satisfaction to own and drive -- even if slow. Call me weird, but I like 'em that way.
And I agree with firetruck -- looks like a great project so grab it and get going! We're here to help!
And about other web sites ... There aren't too many out there dealing with medium duty trucks of that vintage. We have a lot of resident knowledge here, but you might also try the American Truck Historical Society (they can be found in our Links listing -- see the menu bar at the top of this page) The ATHS has a new discussion board and there's a lot of knowledge there, too.
Thanks for stopping by and showing it to us.
John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 684 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 684 | I like it! By all means get it out of the weeds and save it. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,989 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,989 | That's a neat looking old truck! Looks pretty straight, not all beat to h***. Get it if you can! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 | Looks like a model TC. Short wheel base 1-1/2 ton.
The prewar big trucks are harder to find. I have a '38 Model TD (long wheelbase) with a hydraulic hoist on it.
My neighbor and I did 2000 miles in three days to retrieve a parts truck and I thought I was lucky to find that one!
'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton '49 Chevy 1/2 ton '54 Chevy 6400 2 ton '55.2 GMC 3/4 ton '56 GMC 1-ton
No Room Left in Shop
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 73 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 73 | Thats a good looking truck.I've been picking away at my 38 and have been able to get what I needed either through Jim Carter's,The Filling Station or on Ebay. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 581 | Still trying to get a hold of an owner. Appears to be in at a vacated residence. I did track the serial # and it is a TB or 1.5 ton built in St. Louis in January.
Stonecutter...how is your project coming along? I was looking at your pictures and wondering if the frame is squared/thickened up just behind the cab...this one I'm looking at is and looks as if a plate was welded on at some point. Also noticed your donor has a heavy duty front bumper, was that normal or did they share the ones from the smaller trucks? I've seen pictures of both.
Oh, is that an original style box with smooth sides? Ones I've ever seen have the uprights every couple feet on the sides. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 73 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 73 | My project goes in spurts,I've been ready to drop the motor in for about a month now but just haven't had the time.Hopefully work will slow down enough that I can get back at it soon.I think the bumper on the parts truck is off a truck from the 40's that was hacked on there.The original bumper looks like the ones that are on the pick up's.I think the frame was re-enforced when the body was mounted on the chassis.There's a plate rivetted on the side of the frame and another length of angle iron rivetted from underneath to the frame and plate.The boxes depend on who and where the trucks came from.They don't come from the factory,the dealer had them installed locally.Smooth sides is not the best way to go on a dump unless you're not going to be hauling rocks or other hard loads.The sides would get all dimpled and banged up and eventually the body would open up.It looks like that truck had an easy life for a dumptruck. | | |
| |