The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, tclederman, walter74, LAROKE), 133 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,122
Posts1,056,332
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#148299 09/17/2006 9:26 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Ok, I have read through some of these threads and I know we've covered a lot of territory here but I am tired of being a chicken!@%$ about these rims. I have 6 of them sitting on the back of a flatbed that I had to move today. I was handling them like loaded weapons and felt like an idiot. When do we have to be cautious of these things?

If they take air and hold, are they then safe?

If they later go flat, do they become dangerous again?

If there is no air in them at all, is there any snap left in them?

Inquiring minds would like to know so I can stop walking on egg shells, or at least not feel stupid doing so if need be.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
#148300 09/17/2006 1:15 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
The three piece rims are not as dangerous as the true split rims which split in the center. The more modern rims with only a outer split ring are safer. I've only seen 1 split rim taken apart and that was years ago so don't rememmber the method. The the main danger with the 3 piece or modern 2 piece outerlock ring wheels comes during the airing up process. If the lock ring isn't properly seated when the air is added it may pop the lock ring (And outer ring on 3 piece wheels) off. they can come off with a great deal of force bending metal occasionally causing serious injury or death. Tires with no air should pose no threat.If a tire goes flat check to see if the lock ring has lost it's seat. If you have a flat while driving some times the lock ring will pop off before the truck stops if you don't catch the tire before it goes completely flat. Best method for airing is to remove them from the truck and use a tire cage when airing. even if you use a tire cage air from side opposite lock ring and keep hands clear. also a locking air chuck would be adviseable. If no tire cage wrap wheel and tire with chains to contain lock ring etc when airing tire.

#148301 09/17/2006 1:20 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
My 54 shop manuel covers both split (widowmakers) and the three piece wheels as well. might check yours if you've gotten one yet.

#148302 09/17/2006 5:40 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Just throw a few chunks of chain around the tire and rim and youll be set.

Better safe then sorry. Dont know to much about these either. Whats that about an ounce of prevention???

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
#148303 09/17/2006 6:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15
Quote
Originally posted by rustednuts:
Just throw a few chunks of chain around the tire and rim and youll be set.

Better safe then sorry. Dont know to much about these either. Whats that about an ounce of prevention???

Jeff
Thats what the guys at work do when changing tires on the three piece rims I have never seen one seperate while being aired up but I bet it wouldn't be pretty.

#148304 09/17/2006 11:55 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 222
Hi All,
I think most of the stories about wheels exploding and taking heads off are passed on stories that gain a little each time they are told. Yes, of course, these rims can be a problem if you don't know what you are doing, or are not paying attention. If you are aware, awake, and don't try to use damaged parts, they are not as bad as the stories say. Use chain, or a cage if you have one, and you should be all right. Respect the fact that you could get hurt but don't let it stop you. I am a "shop" teacher and I can not tell you how many times I have heard the story of the finger being cut off and the circle of blood on the ceiling. 25 years and I have never seen it nor have I known any shop teacher who has. And yes, I have changed many a split rim. I was in the Navy Seabees and have changed tires from duce and a halfs to our trucks.
Rick

#148305 09/21/2006 10:52 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
Doug West Trailer sales Salisbury Md. Mechanic was killed when a tire he was changeing came apart. What part failed or which type of rim it was I don't know it was in the early eightys when I first started driving trucks.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0