Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,616 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 117 Member | | Member Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 117 | Have any of you noticed how many more big bolts are for sale since the price of gas went up? Think the 4-6 MPG they get has anything to do with that? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | I think the fact that the smaller trucks are getting harder to find and the demand for the bigger trucks is rising is whats fueling the sales.
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I haven't seen more than usual for sale.
I own a couple of them and don't think the price of gas is going to affect me much, since they have only moved about 5 miles each in the past year....
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | Got to agree with Old Sub, My 54 hasn't seen the road yet and it's coming up on 3 years. The 38 hasn't seen tags in about 10 years so gas price not an issue here but they are not for sale either. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I think using my big trucks to haul one big load is far more economical on gas than using my pick-ups to get several loads. I believe the big trucks are just coming of age, they're too cool just to leave to die, Scott | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | Speaking of gas milage.. i've been driving my '46 2 ton on the same 5 gallons of gas I put in it when I first flushed out the tank.
Granted, she's not been making daily trips to town, but she does work around the yard.. pulling tractors out of ditches, and hauling stuff from one side of the property to the other.. up hills, down hills.. I don't know if my odometer is all that accurate, but she's logged 30 miles since I hooked up the new speedometer cable.. so if she ran out of gas today, that would be better than 5MPG of "loaded city driving", not to mention probably over an hours worth of just idling.
Is 6MPG really the best fuel economy a straight 6 235 gets?
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 60 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 60 | Trouble is I'm looking for a '58 or '59 big bolt and I'd like to aviod trawling through hundreds of adds for 1/2 ton. Can we split the spottin thread up with a big bolt spotting thread?
David '56 3100 Pickup,Blown BBC,5 Speed,IFS,4 link, '07 Maloo
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | Fumblin 46 I've heard people claim 10 mpg but i've never achieved that. i'd put some more gas in and add some stabil or similar product to help keep it from turning to varnish since you geting a lot of time betwen adding fresh gas. With my 38 when the fuel gets low and you hit an unlevel spot it will run out so you may not want to let it get to low nothing like having to walk back to the house for a gas can when you in the middle of one of your yard projects.
gasandaspark thats a nice looking GMC from the picture interesting as that area of Ohio is big on rust buckets. Price not bad if every things good. I haven't seen but a few of that vintage wih the diesels none that were running. Can you imagine how that two cycle 471 would sound with a straght pipe.
Stovebolt staff, John and Peg you were looking at a late model cabover awhile back that 48 GMC would pull your horses fine | | |
| |