The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Tronman, Gray_Ghost), 85 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,476
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141791 10/12/2004 5:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I recently tried to take the front wheel off my 52 6400 model. After heating every lug nut to get them off the wheel would not come off. I was afraid to beat on it because of the horror stories I've heard about split rims. I ended up taking the center cap off, taking the wheel bearing nut off, and removing wheel, brake hub, and all. That was O.K. though because I needed to work on the brakes. A John Deere mower deck idler spring works pretty good as a return spring on the brake pads.

Anyhow, anybody out there got any advice on what to do the next time? I am not against beating on something but the split rims worry me. Am I too paraniod?

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
That is how I got the rims off of my 2 ton that had been sitting for a long while... torch the rim and then rock it back and forth, it'll break free.

-Mike R.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
OK, you got the lug nuts off, right? Now screw them back on a little, just enough to protect the threads, and soak the joint between the wheel and the hub with a good penetrating oil. Then, hit the wheel assembly near the lug studs with a BFH. The only dangerous place would be if you hit the split ring itself with a sledgehammer, or something heavy enough to dislodge the fit between wheel parts. If the rims don't fly apart hitting chuck holes on farm roads, you're not likely to develop enough force with a hammer to displace them. If you calculate the force on a split ring in pounds sometime, the numbers will scare you to death! An 8.25X20 tire is putting approximately 40 TONS of force against the split ring. A little hammering isn't likely to make it come apart!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 194
If you are worried about the split rim coming apart, why not just let the air out of the tire??

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Don't worry about the heat, it's along way from the tire and tube. The point that is siezed is where the rim and hub meet. Apply your heat to the most center part of the wheel and work your way out towards the lug nuts. After you get your wheel off and cleaned up, repack your wheel bearings. The grease probably got alittle "cooked",
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
I agree with AFU45 - take the air out, and you take the risk out. I'm paranoid like you about the split rims. I took the stems out so I could walk away while it deflated. I was sure nothing would happen taking the air out, but why not be careful?

Of course, the downside to this is that you have to inflate the tire later, which definately IS risky, if not done properly. I'm guessing you're putting new shoes on your truck anyway, so you'll have to inflate them SOMETIME . . .

Unless you've got those cool, HUMMER run-flat tires . . . wink

-Michael


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 106
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 106
I had a 2001 chev pickup with the same problem, and the old geezer at the tire shop told me to loosen the lugnuts, put a load in the back, and drive it slowly until the rim loosened. Shouldn't need a load with a big truck, but just try loosening the lugnuts a few turns and take it easy, go find a pothole to give her a nudge. grin


51 Chevy 1/2 ton-Restored
46 GMC 1 1/2 ton-Farm Fresh
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
If you deflate the tires, DO NOT reinflate them without breaking the tire down completely! That's the best way I know of to get a rim explosion. As long as it's up to normal inflation pressure, it's highly unlikely you'd dislodge a rim bead. That trick about driving with the lug nuts loosened (slightly) is a good one. We used to break tapered rear axles loose from the hubs that way.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
That's why I dislike Budd Wheels.I used to change plenty of truck tires,always beat on the inside of the tire or rim with a 12 lbs sledge hammer,or lay on your back and kick it off,always works.Just make sure the axle is on a jack stand.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
What ever method you chose please be careful and SAFE. Take the extra time. A rim exploded on my friend back in the 60's and he still has problems eating and talking. This is serious stuff. I know you all know it but its worth repeating. Heck I use to jack a car up and roll under it.....until one fell on my dad and nearly killed him back in 1960! Safety guys, stay around for the family. They will miss you regardless of what they tell you.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
i would get me a can of b'laster from thrifty supply in frankfort and soak the thing for a few days. maybe some heat and then the hammer. need some help? sewnd me a private message and i'll give you a call. remember we are just a few miles apart.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
Wire brush all over, clean out hub crack with sharp knife to let oil down between wheel and hub. Spray real good a few times in day, come back tommorrow. Use big mall to hit TIRE only, back side if you can. It shakes and vibrates alot, helps break up the rust seal.
I've also used hydraulic jack turned on it's side, turn wheel all the way one way, push on it more with jack and board against wheel, base on frame or whereever you can get good push. If it doesn't pop off right away, leave pressure on it, and try more oil and sledge trick again. Usually pops off then! Just oil it and leave hammer there, hit it when walking by once in awhile!


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
I had the same problem, and I had to remove the hub and pry it out of the wheel. Once it was off, I cleaned the hub area well. Still, the next time it still wouldn't come off, but I found I could pry between the drum and wheel on the backside with a 3ft. prybar. Las Schwab has lots of tricks for big trucks and tractor tires, I talked to the guy there, but he said it might cost $60+ and he still couldn't guarantee it would come off. They have wheel jacks and stuff that works a lot like a jack turned on its side. Driving with the lugs loose seems like a good way to mar the threads.


'48 Chevy 2 ton Flatbed
(daily driver)
'70 BMW 2002
My truck is older than my parents!

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0