Hi everyone I am new to this site I hope I’ll be able to get some good advice and pointers on my new project’ I recently purchased a 1955 GMC truck, but it has different front clip on it It looks like the hood is from a 57, and the fenders are from a 55, also the radiator core support is a first series so I’m a little confused My pink slip says it’s a 55 GMC
Welcome to the “Bolt”! I'm sure that there will be a few more of those surprises as you go thru and restore your truck. It’s part of the experience! Post some more pictures, We love to look at other ‘bolters rides!
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Welcome! Looks like you've got some detective work ahead of you. As Rusty said, a lot can happen in 5-6 decades. Kind of makes you wish they could talk! Keep us posted on your progress, and ask a lot of questions in the appropriate forums. Lots of good info and advice to be had here.
Dutch, welcome to Stovebolt. A lot of things change over the years and many parts are interchangeable for several years. I'm sure you'll figure it out.......for help be sure to ask questions in the garage forums. It looks like a nice project and in better shape than what a lot of us have went thru. We're here to help.
A lot folks start with something a lot less solid than what you have, looks like at great start. Welcome to the "BOLT".
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Definitely has 55 Chevy front sheet metal. If a 6 it will have GMC on valve cover and if a V8 it will be a Pontiac. The engine size (if a GMC 6) will be on the pad behind the distributor.
You have a Series 1 '55, they changed mid '55 to the Series 2. I just bought most of the driveline, from the axle, open drive shaft, 3-speed trans, clutch, flywheel and bell housing from a '55 Series 2 Truck.
Very possible your truck had a 235 in it originally. The Series 2 I bought the parts from did, but it was a Chevy. There was a difference in the GM engine, but I can't remember what. Could have been the lifters, maybe hydraulic in the GM.