The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, 52Carl, Hotrod Lincoln, TooMany2count, chemanic, 1 invisible), 92 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,418
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 31
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 31
Hey guys,

I just picked up a 1950 Chevy Pickup with a 454 engine and a bunch of goodies (350 turbo trans, vintage AC, door poppers, electric windows, digital dash, etc.).

It's been chopped, shaved and channelled (still don't know what all that means -- I know what chopped is though - grin).

I have the privilege of trying to put all this stuff back together after his ground up restore. The first thing I want to do is get the hood to close. With the radiator in it now, it won't.

The former owner said to buy a custom griffin and cut part off the top area near the hood latch so that the hood would close.

Has anyone done something like this? Is Griffin the radiator of choice?

Any help would be appreciated and I'm learning from scratch.

Thanks!

Steve

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Recoil,
Are you saying that your radiator is too tall causing the interference? Is the hood hitting the radiator? Or is it a front to rear radiator location the problem. I don't know anything about the name Griffin but just visited their site.

http://griffinrad.com/start.php


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 264
I'd be careful about cutting away the support at the front of the hood. I just removed mine so that I can restore the hood and it is real flimsy without that brace.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 31
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 31
I will take some pictures and upload them. I don't want to do anything wrong. smile

The previous owner said that putting in a 454 didn't allow him to use the radiator that was there. He mentioned getting a custom Griffin and cutting.

I thought I'd ask if there were other options since I don't really want to cut anything if I don't have to.

This is a great forum by the way.

Thanks guys!
Steve

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
Sounds to me like the previous owner pie cut the hood. The "Pie Cut" takes a section off the side of the hood and makes for a lower side profile. This would make the hood closer to the radiator. I'll wait for the pictures to see how high the radiator is above the radiator support.


Joe
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 31
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 31
I haven't had time to take close-ups, but these are the pics that were shot of the truck before I owned it. I thought I'd post them for now. smile

http://www.eleanorclub.com/photo/showgallery.php?cat=506&password=

Steve

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 215
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 215
the radiator dosent look any higher than normal are you shure there is not a problem somwer else, like latch out of alingment? or bent hood?
just checking because I have seen lots of all stock trucks that the hood would not close properly


Luke Dahlin

1946 Chevy 2 ton
1966 Chevy 2 ton
1969 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd
http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/dahlin_luke_1969.html]1969 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
CAR!? %#^$###%$&$%(*!!!

:p

So, about how long is that bed there, recoil? It looks longer than the 6 feet plus one...

-W

Quote
Originally posted by recoil:
these are the pics that were shot of the car before I owned it. I thought I'd post them for now. smile
Steve

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 215
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 215
Woogeroo
apperntly some people ar not aqainted whith the sin of calling Stovebolts "car's" :p


Luke Dahlin

1946 Chevy 2 ton
1966 Chevy 2 ton
1969 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd
http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/dahlin_luke_1969.html]1969 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 31
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 31
Ack.

You know. I went to edit my post the day I wrote it but didn't see the edit button (I was pretty tired).

I haven't measured the bed. I didn't think the prev owner did anything there.

This is my first truck fellas! smile

Steve

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Just a few comments on the entire package. The bed is a long bed, which on Chevy came only with the 3/4 ton (3600 series) trucks. Shaving means removing exterior appliances such as door handles and filling in indentions and holes. Channeling means closing up the C section of the frame by welding sheet across it, or replacing the frame with rectangular tube. If these answers aren't correct, call Shirley MacLaine. grin

On your radiator, I can't tell from the photos just what has been done. It appears the housing has been raised, but I'm not sure. Also, I can't tell from the photos if the hood has been chopped, but I don't think so. A true side shot of the hood would allow comparison. I'm assuming you're going with an electric fan, which should give you more room for a deeper core. I would check into having a radiator built for the truck, a good local shop can help here. You might also check with some of the hi-performance dealers and see what has been done by others, not to many here have stuffed anything this big into an AD truck.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 31
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 31
Fred,

Thanks for the information! I'm slowly learning some of this. I am going to take more pictures when I am back from vacation.

I was thinking about going with an electric one -- or the Griffin (if that's what people usually do with these trucks).

Question: What constitutes an AD truck?

Thanks guys - this forum is awesome.

Steve

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by Fred T:
Channeling means closing up the C section of the frame by welding sheet across it, or replacing the frame with rectangular tube. If these answers aren't correct, call Shirley MacLaine.
Shirley just called and asked me to do some channeling for her:

Channeling is lowering the body on the frame. In the pictures this truck doesn't look channeled to me. The floor appears to be in the stock location, which would almost have to change if it where channeled.

Closing up the frame is called 'boxing' the frame.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by recoil:
Question: What constitutes an AD truck?
In this case AD stands for Advance Design and is applied to the first post-war truck design which became available during 1947. With some changes the AD trucks continued to be available into early 1955.

I've always found it a little amusing that the '41 to '47 trucks were called Art Deco and could also be called AD...

Automobile Collector Magazine has a great article about these trucks in an issue I picked up in an airport a couple weeks ago.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Thanks for contacting Shirley. My brain took a vacation due to overload with two nephews from hell at Christmas. I need to medicate it with some beer to get things working properly again.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I've got beer in the fridge if you want to stop by.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Hmmm, and I've always thought "boxing" a frame was closing up the C channel or replacing with tubing. Placing a sheet across it was always called tunneling... eek

OH SHIRLEY>>>>...

BTW, which one of you guys has her number?
(no beer, but I did get a hell of a nice bottle of single malt for Christmas) :p


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0