The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, tricordati, Pre '68 Dave), 91 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,477
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1376055 09/05/2020 10:23 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
I see where it is said the difference between the 12 and 6 volt starters coincides with the flywheel tooth count. Why would I have 2 1954 trucks (apparently original with 6V everything) with the higher tooth count flywheels and smaller diameter gears on the starters that match with black tags not red?

Can I get the “12 volt” starter rebuilt to 6 v specifications so I don’t have to swap my clutch and flywheel? I know I can swap the truck to 12v. I just don’t feel like it!

Thanks.


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
Normally, a "black label" 6V starter will have an armature diameter of about 5/8", and it will be matched up with a 139 tooth flywheel. The 1955-up "red label" starter will have a shaft diameter close to 1/2", and the correct flywheel will have 168 teeth. BOTH starter drives have 9 teeth, but the tooth pitch will be slightly different. It might be possible to mix and match parts to get a 6V housing and field coils combined with a 12V armature and drive gear, but I have my doubts that it would crank at the proper speed with a 6V battery.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
I’ll have to run the number on the starter tag. Maybe someone previously mixed and matched.


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0