The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (BCBill, Gdads51, Lightholder's Dad, joe apple, Hawkman, greenie-reddy, TUTS 59), 190 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,176
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1366650 06/27/2020 1:35 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
Hi all, does any one know what material was used to seal the hinges to the firewall/cowl?

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,290
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,290
The factory assembly manual , sect 14 sheet 4 indicates 466943 plastic cement 1/16" thick around holes. I can tell you that when I removed the hood hinges on my 1954 3604 that the material was not a hard material, it was pliable. Todays plastic seam sealer drys rock solid and would not allow any adjustment. Hopefully others with more knowledge can chime in an advise what modern material should be used? Maybe plummers putty?


Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
It was referred to as dum-dum. From what I have found under a hinge removed for the first time, it looks and is pliable just like plumber's putty. That is what I use.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Originally Posted by KDrown
Hi all, does any one know what material was used to seal the hinges to the firewall/cowl?

What are you working on?

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 76
Thanks all. Dusty53 I found it the same. Firm but not setup. Came off easily with mineral spirits. 52Carl, good tip on the plumbers putty. I’ll give it a try. I have a 54 GMC 100.

Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 11
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 11
I would think it would be some sort of butyl tape. Something like this here

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,491
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,491
3M 08509 Auto Bedding and Glazing compound never dries, is black and might be better than plumber's putty. I've seen plumber's putty get hard and brittle over time even though it says it doesn't.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
A quick Search on Amazon for” Dum-Dum putty” and I found what appears to be Dum-Dum putty and a slew of other products including butyl sealant tape that should work in your application.[LINK]

Last edited by Phak1; 07/15/2020 1:10 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 620
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 620
I have a large box of Perma Gum in the shop. Dad bought it in 1946. Still pliable and has been on many of my teen age projects like 29 and 42 Chevy's. Still have a lot. Thanks Dad. Doc.


Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,491
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,491
Please check specs before you buy...some of the stuff on Amazon is indoor use only.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0