Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,155 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 76 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 76 | Hi all, does any one know what material was used to seal the hinges to the firewall/cowl? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,289 Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum | | Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,289 | The factory assembly manual , sect 14 sheet 4 indicates 466943 plastic cement 1/16" thick around holes. I can tell you that when I removed the hood hinges on my 1954 3604 that the material was not a hard material, it was pliable. Todays plastic seam sealer drys rock solid and would not allow any adjustment. Hopefully others with more knowledge can chime in an advise what modern material should be used? Maybe plummers putty?
Ron - - Dusty53 1954 Chevy 3604In the Gallery Forum "You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell." "They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel." | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | It was referred to as dum-dum. From what I have found under a hinge removed for the first time, it looks and is pliable just like plumber's putty. That is what I use.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | Hi all, does any one know what material was used to seal the hinges to the firewall/cowl? What are you working on? | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 76 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 76 | Thanks all. Dusty53 I found it the same. Firm but not setup. Came off easily with mineral spirits. 52Carl, good tip on the plumbers putty. I’ll give it a try. I have a 54 GMC 100. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2020 Posts: 11 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2020 Posts: 11 | I would think it would be some sort of butyl tape. Something like this here | | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,489 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,489 | 3M 08509 Auto Bedding and Glazing compound never dries, is black and might be better than plumber's putty. I've seen plumber's putty get hard and brittle over time even though it says it doesn't.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2019 Posts: 4,480 AD Addict & Tinkerer | | AD Addict & Tinkerer Joined: Feb 2019 Posts: 4,480 | A quick Search on Amazon for” Dum-Dum putty” and I found what appears to be Dum-Dum putty and a slew of other products including butyl sealant tape that should work in your application. [LINK]
Last edited by Phak1; 07/15/2020 1:10 PM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc BrakesProject JournalsStovebolt Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 620 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 620 | I have a large box of Perma Gum in the shop. Dad bought it in 1946. Still pliable and has been on many of my teen age projects like 29 and 42 Chevy's. Still have a lot. Thanks Dad. Doc.
Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,489 Moderator, Electrical Bay | | Moderator, Electrical Bay Joined: Mar 2014 Posts: 4,489 | Please check specs before you buy...some of the stuff on Amazon is indoor use only.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
| | |
| |