Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,459 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 153 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 153 | I am looking to add a new dash insert into my 61 panel. Can you guys recommend a set of gauges to use? Also I currently have Mechanical gauges installed, water, oil, and electric volt and tach. Can I switch to all electric gauges including speedo? If I can what is entailed? I am running a new 350 crate engine with turbo 350.
Thanks,Mac | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | Yes. You may switch to whatever type of gauge you desire including speedo. The sensors are different ie. a mech. bulb sensor which is a pressure device vs. a variable resistor which is an electrical device. An electronic speedo most often uses a magnet attached to the drive shaft with a magnetic pickup which sends a series of pluses to the instrument. Pick up a copy of any street rod mag. like "Street Rodder" or "Street Rod Builder", they will have a number of ads for gauges.
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 248 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 248 | I put in "fishless" Dolphins as well (mechanical speedo). If I had it to do over again I would have looked for a later model T-5 tranny and gone with an electronic speedo, but what I have looks and works great. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | Take a look at this set that I recently pulled from a '66 Chevy C10. They looked and worked great, however I am a purist and desire the look of the factory dash gauge cluster with a factory tach. Autometer Gauges with No Limit Face and a Factory Bezel I feel the aftermarket units are superior in quality and performance, however I prefer the look of factory original equipment. Factory Dash Gauge Cluster with Factory Tach | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | I always prefered mechanical gauges.
Tony,those after market gauges look sweeet !!! 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | bowtietim:
Thanks. Give me a call or come by the shop sometime. I have three different '64-'66 Chevy truck projects going. Did I mention, I love the '64-'66 Chevy trucks? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | Tony,i will come by soon.We was working near there a couple of weeks ago.I like the new 4-5-6 banner,i had to explain to my co-workers what it meant.I'll bring old blue by.
I still like the mechanical gauges the best. 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 153 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 153 | Thanks for the input! Its between Autometer and Dolphin.leaning more towards Autometer.
Mac | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 161 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 161 | I also used the dolphin gauges (mechanical) and they work and look great. I also bought their dash insert for my 46 and am very happy with the gauges.
1946 Chevy Pickip
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I was looking at the new stewart Warner quad gauge set and spedo in 5" size for my 48 truck. They look old but are new | | |
| |