The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Shaffer's1950, Uncles51), 96 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,462
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
I am looking to add a new dash insert into my 61 panel. Can you guys recommend a set of gauges to use? Also I currently have Mechanical gauges installed, water, oil, and electric volt and tach. Can I switch to all electric gauges including speedo? If I can what is entailed? I am running a new 350 crate engine with turbo 350.

Thanks,Mac

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Yes. You may switch to whatever type of gauge you desire including speedo. The sensors are different ie. a mech. bulb sensor which is a pressure device vs. a variable resistor which is an electrical device. An electronic speedo most often uses a magnet attached to the drive shaft with a magnetic pickup which sends a series of pluses to the instrument. Pick up a copy of any street rod mag. like "Street Rodder" or "Street Rod Builder", they will have a number of ads for gauges.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
www.dolphingauges.com I just installed them. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2218024880071636143FMFtfQ They work and look great. They have a few colors to choose from.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 248
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 248
I put in "fishless" Dolphins as well (mechanical speedo). If I had it to do over again I would have looked for a later model T-5 tranny and gone with an electronic speedo, but what I have looks and works great.


Daily Driver 63 C-10 LWB Fleetside
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
Take a look at this set that I recently pulled from a '66 Chevy C10. They looked and worked great, however I am a purist and desire the look of the factory dash gauge cluster with a factory tach.

Autometer Gauges with No Limit Face and a Factory Bezel

I feel the aftermarket units are superior in quality and performance, however I prefer the look of factory original equipment.

Factory Dash Gauge Cluster with Factory Tach

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I always prefered mechanical gauges.

Tony,those after market gauges look sweeet !!!


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
bowtietim:

Thanks. Give me a call or come by the shop sometime. I have three different '64-'66 Chevy truck projects going. Did I mention, I love the '64-'66 Chevy trucks?

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Tony,i will come by soon.We was working near there a couple of weeks ago.I like the new 4-5-6 banner,i had to explain to my co-workers what it meant.I'll bring old blue by.

I still like the mechanical gauges the best.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 153
Thanks for the input! Its between Autometer and Dolphin.leaning more towards Autometer.

Mac

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 161
Z
'Bolter
'Bolter
Z Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 161
I also used the dolphin gauges (mechanical) and they work and look great. I also bought their dash insert for my 46 and am very happy with the gauges.


1946 Chevy Pickip
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I was looking at the new stewart Warner quad gauge set and spedo in 5" size for my 48 truck.
They look old but are new


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0