The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Deegs53, Youngin' Tut 59, CandoBrent, 1955 1 Series), 155 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,659
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#135799 04/01/2007 11:27 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
Dan, plan is to weld a plate across the front and rear of the 4" tubes, I fiqured closing them off would also look better , thanks..

#135800 04/02/2007 7:38 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
Sounds like a good plan. It wouldn't be much fun taking a fast turn and rolling them over!!

When you mounted your front end, was there any issue with the front clip not being centered on the S10 rails? I'm off by an inch against the radiator mount but dead on by the tires!


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod
#135801 04/03/2007 5:42 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 51
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 51
i myself am tossed up to either build my own, or cough up the cash for the kit from ad-eng. Seems to me like alot less headache and faster to buy the kit. Cab mounting takes percision and is probably the easiest. but now you have to also match the profile of the running boards, bed and rad support to where you need it and you need to have skills with a tape measure every cm to get the best final result.
To me time is almost more valuebul than the money itself. Just my 2 cents


old iron vs. new plastic....no brainer!
TECH WANTED: on S-10 frame swap
PARTS WANTED: 54 Visor, weather strips..
PARTS FOR SALE: I have complete frame / complete driveline from 54 1/2ton. very solid, will seperate
1954 GMC 3100
#135802 04/04/2007 10:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
Dan, I didn't have any trouble with the front end , I had to 'tweek' it some but it went together pretty good. I remind myself that chevy didn't have everything aligned perfect from the factory, they had problems with the right side closing the small gap between the fender and the hood. if you need too move the front clip some that shouldn't hurt any,

#135803 04/04/2007 10:54 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
Tony, I like too see if I can build things, I don't like to buy something if I can make it myself but thats me, so far the s-10 frame has worked out quite well, but then again I have all the tools needed to do it myself. I guess if someone has the extra cash then buying the kit would work. ( maybe I'm just a tightwad} lol

#135804 04/05/2007 11:41 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
I've seen the kit on another guy's truck. He was looking for a much lower stance and ended up using about 1/2 of the kit. He gave me some of the mounts for the running boards and the radiator but I doubt I'll use them either. I'm with 51Dan79. Make it if you can.

I've got $104 in the steel I bought and I used 18" or so of the 6' of 4x4 and about 1/2 of the 20' I bought of 1 x 2". I've replaced the blade on the chop saw and used less than a roll of weld wire including that on the frame from changing the X cab wheel base.


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod
#135805 04/05/2007 11:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
Have any of you guys ventured into the radiator issue on the s-10 conversion? if so what did you come up with and what are you useing? I have a 65 mustang rad. that will fit in but was wondering if anyone has done another rad?

#135806 04/06/2007 7:42 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
I'm hearing a lot of positives about the 64/5 Stang. Especially if you have the body sitting about 4" off of the frame like I do. Have just cut the rad mount last weekend and hope to mount it this weekend if the weather doesn't SUCK (70 on Monday, 20 this morning!)


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod
#135807 04/06/2007 8:22 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
wind chill THURSDAY WAS -2 DEGREES, plan is too go turkey hunting Sat. and later we can unthaw and maybe get some work done on the 51.

#135808 04/09/2007 2:52 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
Saturday was nice IN the garage. Got the steering all hooked up and worked on the front sheet metal alignment. Sunday was cold no matter where we were so we didn't hang out too long. Did get the brakes mounted and the pedals all situated. Not too bad, overall.


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod
#135809 04/09/2007 11:50 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 19
Quote
Originally posted by 51dan79:
Have any of you guys ventured into the radiator issue on the s-10 conversion? if so what did you come up with and what are you useing? I have a 65 mustang rad. that will fit in but was wondering if anyone has done another rad?
I did my conversion using the stock AD radiator. Before I did the swap I bought a new one and was hell bent on using it. It fits nicely. You just have to kick the bottom of the radiator out a bit to clear the steering box.

#135810 04/15/2007 1:58 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
I'm looking at that aspect right now on mine. Looks like I may have to trim the bottom of the grill apron to make the radiator fit but I've got 3 grills so I'll use the worst for practice. The 54 trucks are considerably different in this area from the 51 front clip I have.


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod
#135811 04/17/2007 2:05 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 45
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 45
How do you attach the running boards to the S-10 frame. Can you use the original brackets or does a modification have to take place. Pictures would be great.

thanks,

#135812 04/17/2007 9:36 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
The AD engineering kit uses square tubing cut and welded on an angle and then welded to an upright to bolt to the frame. Kind of a bent L shape ordeal.

I'm just getting to this point on ours and plan to use some 1 x 2 tube stock with a plate on top to make up the angle of the board. This will be welded onto some flat stock with gussets to bolt to the frame. that way I can bolt the running board to the plate, bolt the tube stock to the frame rail, and then put a tack on it for alignment and then on to finish weld. I hope to have this in the next week or so.


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod
#135813 04/18/2007 12:24 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
I made my own using angle iron, and flat stock

#135814 04/18/2007 1:38 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
After mocking up the passenger board tonight, it is really easily done. I'm going to use the extra 1 x 2 square tubing I bought for the bed mount and add some flat stock for the frame side mount and gussets. Only one that looks like I'll have to use the plate idea is the very rear because it comes right out at the spring perch location.

Hope to cut them up and get them tacked together tomorrow after work.


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod
#135815 06/14/2007 2:41 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 10
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 10
Help,is there an easy way to center the wheels in the fenders,when doing this swap, have tryed several methods and when i back off from the truck and look at a distance it dont look right.

#135816 06/14/2007 4:27 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 13
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 13
Side to side or front to back? All of my reading says the wheels should line up correctly front to back. Side to side was a different matter though.

#135817 06/21/2007 7:04 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 72
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 72
Has anyone used the 4 x 4 chassis and running gear to do this sort of swap? I have an 84 short wheel base S-10 4 x 4 and was thinking it might be a fun swap down the road. But still use a Stovebolt type engine in it with the five speed.


52 GMC Suburban...52 Chevy 3/4 ton...49 CHevy 1/2 ton Rod...49 GMC 1/2 ton retro rod project
#135818 06/22/2007 3:45 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 32
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 32
first you'll have to stretch the frame, if it's a standard cab short bed, second no reason it shouldn't work, if u use an S10/camaro 5 speed, should have a couple options for a transfer case. Get working on it and show us what you come up with


you know your a gearhead when you pick up food to eat at the shop after wrenching all day, and you reasoning for not washing your hands is a little grease makes all food taste better
#135819 07/02/2007 3:20 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod
#135820 07/02/2007 3:25 PM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 199
Centering front to back I used a clip to hold a plumb bob at the peak of the wheel well and lined up the front first, then the rear. There is enough forgiveness in the bed to adjust fore/aft a bit if you've got the wheel base right to start with.

Width wise you'll need to get the spacers to get the front right and the 4x4 axle is the way to make the rear come out right or you'll rub tires on the bed side's lip.


Just here for the free beer.
1953 1-Ton Dump Truck

1954 Teenage Hot Rod
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
I'm bbbbbbbaaaaaaccccccccckkkkk!!!

Well, this is a typical project. Work like the dickens on it for a while, then come to a screeching halt for months. Speaking of which, my S-10 frame had the single-piston front brakes. But I have procured the slightly larger, dual piston caliper front disk brakes.

The new "Whoa!"

Caliper Closeup

And to match the improved "WHOA", I've come up with some pretty good "GO!"

Yes, that's an LS1 and T56 six speed

Am I crazy or what?

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 29
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 29
I like it, any more done on the project?


Jim
1940 Chev pickup Retro Rod
1957 Buick Century
1968 Mustang (Golden nugget)
2004 Trailblazer
Pix on Cardomain
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5
Bump for a great project - even if you're making it for a 'Zoomie' laalaa

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
Hey guys, thanks for the good words. Had a few career bumps lately that have consumed HUGE amounts of my time. Hope to get back to the project soon.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 3
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 3
Wow I hope you can send up more info on the frame sizing as I just picked up my doner 91 chev s15 ext cab it came with a 305 auto mounted & will need extensive work on correcting motor & tranny mounts & yes Im after the AD kit & change over rear axle for my 55 1st series truck so in canada its blast & work on the metal thanks to the winters(salt is a way to melt snow) as you wont have to much of in Texas so here I go with any info available out there appreciated thanks for listening dartin jack

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
Hey,
i also was wondering about using a 4x4 s10 frame and running gear? has anybody done or heard about someone doing it.What would have to be done diffrently then the 2wd setup?

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
Hey i was wondering what parts you keep original when using the ad-engineering product. do you keep the steering wheel,and do you have to change anything with the gauges or will it all work out, and does the instructions adress all these things or stop after the bodys bolted to the new frame?
Thanks

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0