The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (RLB, Patina 54), 98 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,426
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#134950 08/04/2006 12:26 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
Over the last three weeks I have been collecting parts and tools to get started on my 1946 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. My first purchase was a Lincoln 175HD mig welder(I hope it is big enough to weld my IFS to the frame). My second purchase was a mild 350 with all the works and a TH350 trans. Then I ordered boxing plates x-member and IFS setup from Progressive Automotive. Now its time to get busy.

Any suggestions on removing the cab from the frame.

#134951 08/04/2006 12:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 79
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 79
good luck on the truck

to get the cab of a couple guys should do it

a couple of bolts and lift


1955 Chevrolet 3100 2nd
1954 International Harvester R-110

My Webshots Pictures
#134952 08/04/2006 10:29 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Easier to lift of the cab if you take the front end off first ( motor / rad fenders etc ). There are shims between the cab & frame - might want to keep track of what goes where.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
#134953 08/05/2006 3:09 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
The bed and front end are off already. I just need to get the cab off and I will be all set.

#134954 08/05/2006 4:44 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
6 bolts and the cab is free. save the springs under the rear set of bolts.

If the cab is stripped, it is a pretty easy job. I did mine with a come-along and braces on the rafters. The install was done with an engine hoist (the prefered method).

By the way, save the parts you are not going to use. One of us will take most of what you don't re-use off your hands!

#134955 08/05/2006 11:15 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
Thanks for all the help !!

I should have plenty of parts to get rid of.

1. Front axle
2. Brake drums and hardware
3. Knee action shocks
4. Steering wheel and column
5. Front and rear leaf springs
6. Wiring harness (if anyone wants it)
7. Steering box
6. I think I have 6 600-16 wheels
7. Hubcaps

Probably a lot more.......

#134956 08/05/2006 11:21 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
This is my goal......
[img]
[/img]

#134957 08/06/2006 2:14 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 144
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 144
The picture of your goal looks great and good luck. That's exactly the look I want on my 46 but with a 4 inch chop on the cab. If you look in the gallery there's a few Art Decos with the chop and it sure looks neat.
Bob T

#134958 08/06/2006 8:11 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
I cant figure out how the owner made or came up with a 1 piece hood on the truck in the picture.

#134959 08/06/2006 10:05 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 113
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 113
Take LOTS of pictures as you disassemble! You'll thank me later ;'}


Everything is different now...
#134960 08/07/2006 8:55 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
I laid an old flat mattress on the rear frame rails and just pushed the cab over backwards to work on the bottom and frame rails.... I rolled it over several times by myself as I was working on it.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
#134961 08/08/2006 2:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rusty,that's exactly what I needed to hear grin .I was wondering how I was gonna work on my floorboards.I don't have any framing to hoist the cab,and never thought of using a mattress.I gonna have to order some floorboards now grin
thanks,
skippy

#134962 08/08/2006 1:33 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Back to the question, I don't believe your MIG is hot enough. Prep it, tack it in position and have a quallified welding shop stick weld it.This is a High stress area.

#134963 08/16/2006 2:27 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 144
T
Ter Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 144
Hi:
I really agree with Gazim... get a qualified welder to do your frame. Safety first!
Ter

#134964 08/16/2006 3:41 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
the lincoln 175 is rated for up to 1/4 inch is should be plenty hot to weld an 1/8 inch frame.


it's not old it's "aged to perfection"
http://brent5631.myphotoalbum.com/
#134965 08/16/2006 11:22 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 26
I worked in a fabricating shop about 18 years ago and have been to school for mig, tig, and heliarc. It has been a long time since I have welded anything but I should be able to do it. I just want to make sure the welder I am using is hot enough. the welder has a 30 to 175 amp output and runs on 220. It will weld up to 1/2 mild steel with .045 innershield. I will pay someone to do it for me if I start having problems.

#134966 08/17/2006 7:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
I have a Miller 175, it has plenty of power to weld 1/4" and thicker, plenty for your frame. I think the Lincoln is rated same as the miller.

#134967 08/17/2006 10:03 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
On Mig?


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0