Hello on here, it's been a while, I am going to add rear side windows to my 54 Panel to go with the Suburban look ( Grand kids putting the pressure on) they want to be able to look around. ,Been searching around but not much luck, anybody do this already , could use a little help. For now I am considering the old school approach cut a hole add rubber trim and glass. I plan to cut to correct size so that when I can get the proper Suburban trim I will be good to go.????? Thanks Len
Whew, thinking about this makes me tired!! I'm sure a side window can be installed to look neat but......
I owned a 52 Panel for years and for the same reason wished I had a suburban . Although I did not do it the guys who I would enlist to help always told me to sell it and go find a suburban! When I restored my panel I actually "fixed" someones attempt to put a side window in it. I'm sure what you want to do can be done but perhaps there is a suburban just around the corner waiting on you?? I have read where some of the trim may be hard to find if you wanted to make it like a suburban??
I'm sure some Burb owners will be of a lot more help so just stay tuned.
How rare is a panel van compared to a suburban? I've seen some tasteful added windows and some not so tasteful. It is your vehicle though. Hopefully, it won't meet its demise like this speciman.
Last edited by Rusty Rod; 02/12/20205:35 PM.
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Consider the ‘downtime’ required for such an undertaking. There is a good possibility the grandkids will not be ‘kids’ any longer, when the project becomes roadworthy. What is more important; spending quality time with the kids on the road in the breeze, or as a teaching moment in the shop for everyone concerned ?
Hello on here, it's been a while, I am going to add rear side windows to my 54 Panel to go with the Suburban look ( Grand kids putting the pressure on) they want to be able to look around. ,Been searching around but not much luck, anybody do this already , could use a little help. For now I am considering the old school approach cut a hole add rubber trim and glass. I plan to cut to correct size so that when I can get the proper Suburban trim I will be good to go.????? Thanks Len
No No No No No NO NO!
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
The upper body side assembles for Suburban/Carryall and the Panel truck are completely different from one another. There is a lot of stamped exterior/interior body sheet metal on the Suburban to accommodate the rear window glass. To turn a Panel truck into Suburban, you would literally have to go back to the drawing board to do it.
Front seat riser on the Suburban, extends only up to jump seat, where as the Panel Truck seat riser extends all the way across. Rear plywood floor has mounting attachments for two rows of seating on the Suburban.
Back in the Hippie 60's many panels and vans had all sizes and shapes of windows cut in them. Some even had sliding rear pickup windows installed in the sides. I don't even like 5w AD pickup cabs so not a fan of added windows. Picture of a nice clean 54 panel brought in to have the "Hippie Holes" patched with rivets and Panel Bond. Don't swoon over the shag carpet floor, sides, and roof; a real love nest in it's day.
OK OK OK You guy's are killing me because I know your right , was hoping there might be something available to make it easy. Love the reply,(Whew, thinking about this makes me tired ). I will try and add my photobucket here so you can see what it took to get where I am with the panel. You will see that I don't mind doing a bit of fitting and welding But... I am not throwing in the towel just yet. I'm retired and our winters last about six months so time is not a problem. But( why ruin a perfectly good panel truck) makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the input Layback Lenny https://s824.photobucket.com/user/traversewife/library/?sort=6&page=1
The photos Purchased 1974 Vancouver island $300.00 drove to Newfoundland 1977 engine and paint job ,Honeymoon Gave away mid 80's after rotting in a damp Barn Given back to me 1993 In paint 2011
How rare is a panel van compared to a suburban? I've seen some tasteful added windows and some not so tasteful. It is your vehicle though. Hopefully, it won't meet its demise like this speciman.
Is its demise that you are referring to the shabby window job? Or, the Act of God oak?
Somebody installed these on my Panel long ago. As if it's not bad enough that they did that, the one in the pic is on the driver's side, but is installed at the wrong angle to boot!! I will be welding those holes up eventually.
Leave it be and search for an original suburban!!! I passed one up some years back and still kicking myself.
Found you onw already! https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Chevrolet-Suburban/224138901848?hash=item342fb83958%3Ag%3AGiMAAOSwrmRfS8on&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C2500
Last edited by JiMerit Boltr#43; 09/01/20203:26 PM.
I like them the way that GM made them (at least appearance - a change to a later Stovebolt engine is OK by me). Hmmm. I guess I am not really a purist?
I like them the way that GM made them (at least appearance - a change to a later Stovebolt engine is OK by me). Hmmm. I guess I am not really a purist?
Changes is one thing; wholesale transformation to an entirely different model is another. Kind of like the difference between your wife applying a new lipstick color, or getting a plastic surgery to completely alter her appearance and make her look like an entirely different person.
wholesale transformation - like an all different suspension/steering and/or an all different drive train?
A Panel with a different suspension or drive train is still a Panel. Its basic essence or identity is still intact.
Again, the cosmetic surgery analogy: If my wife gets a tummy tuck, that's an improvement that still leaves her basic self intact. Ditto for driveability improvements on a vehicle. But if my wife gets an entirely new face or body to the point where she's unrecognizable as her former self, well that's just extreme and weird. Ditto for changing a panel into a Suburban.
I mean, how would most guys like it if their wife suddenly looked like Jennifer Lopez? ;-)
There's a 1 ton panel converted to school bus for sale in the trucks for sale forum. It has windows in the rear , it will give you some ideas. I would search for a suburban if that is what you're wanting.
Tim
1951 3100 Chevrolet 1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall Image "A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"