I really envy you fellows that have the big garages or out buildings to work on your projects. I have a 2 1/2 car garage so the wife parks on one side and the 49 parks on the other. Yup.....I park outside. I do have a work bench and a small area for smaller projects but that's about it. If I do have a bigger project I have to move the wife's car out but it has to be back in the garage at the end of the day. Years ago I worked at a steel fabricating shop where we worked off shop prints to fabricate fenders, consoles, frames, etc. to build a completed unit to drive on the golf courses to spray fertilizer, water, etc. The company was sold out and moved to Mexico. Maybe you have heard of them, TORO. I know I have the ability to do a lot of this work I just don't have the space that I would like where I can keep things tore down and work on them as needed. Show me the space you guys have that I wish I had to work on your projects.
Last edited by olezippi; 12/06/20191:02 PM.
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
I did mine in a 20 by 24 with a covered 14 by 24 carport next door, seems like I spent 1/2 the time moving parts and things around. Stored painted and finished fenders and body parts in my rec room. In my next life, I'm going to build me one with enough room.
1953 Chevrolet 3100 261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY Gallery Video of the 261 running
1964 GMC 1000 305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
I always look at the shop space first when folks show their trucks inside. Mrs. Wally's Buick gets our single car garage. I park the '48 outside and that's where I swapped the 235 for the 261 which took 2 winters and only 1 summer.
34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
I'm jealous of most of you guys. I have a single car garage that my daily driver truck won't even fit into if it was otherwise empty. The wife's car got relegated to the driveway when I started on my 'Bolt project. The chassis is currently outside in the snow with miscellaneous sheet metal parts on it, a few more in my 6x10 cargo trailer sitting in front of it next to the garage. The garage currently contains my original 4' long workbench, a freezer, a 7' long work table made out of a door, and the cab on a rotisserie with the bed parts propped up against the outside wall. I still manage to get some work done, mainly by shuffling things around. but I'm wondering how that will go when I get around to working on the chassis. Fortunately a friend nearby has a 2 bay double deep shop that he lets me use for some stuff. Wally, is that personal antifreeze I see in the snowbank at your feet?
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Tony, by looking at your images as posted, I suspect they are way too large for our program to handle.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
I have a 26 x 32, and it is always getting smaller every time I buy anything. Plus I rent 2 garages on opposite sides of town to store crap, and cars, plus a heated warehouse spot for my 4100. It's a total of $125 per month. Adds up, but it's a little cheaper than buying a huge place with more taxes/insurance for now. Too late to start over with that plan anyway. I've wasted a lot of time trying to find stuff that I couldn't remember where I stashed it, but it is always where I put it.
Last edited by 4100 Fire Truck; 12/07/20191:03 AM.
Well all and all it's kinda like the more money you have, the more money you spend and you live to them standards. I hear people all the time talking about how broke they are at the same time I'm towing their BMW and putting it the garage next to 2 more. If you have a 500 sq, you need 1000. If you have a 1000, you need 2000. I have 3000 but I need 4000. As with every thing, as humans, were never happy. Some are content, but never happy.. Be happy with what you have, or could be worse..
I'd definitely be happy with a 3000 sq ft garage Glenn, you are a very lucky man. Actually I would do jumping jacks for a 1000 sq ft.
1953 Chevrolet 3100 261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY Gallery Video of the 261 running
1964 GMC 1000 305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Thanks. But the truth of the matter is I really need the rent payment for a write off on my taxes or Uncle Sam would get it anyhow. I figured I should spend it b4 he takes it..... Looking at your garage and the organization you put into it, you are probably using more sq footage in a 1 bay than some people use in a 3 bay. Nice setup. Its obviously working for ya.. Nice truck too
Some of you guys really get innovative when it comes to no space at all. I guess we all have our issues with what we have and we would all like more space. I guess I'm lucky my AD is in out of the weather. Nice to see everybody is getting it done though.
Last edited by olezippi; 12/07/20198:19 PM.
"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem" 1949 5 Window 3100 Follow in the DITY Veteran of the USAF My Website
34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
My problem is that I have too many types of projects. One of my biggest projects was building my personal shop. It is the second one I built and I know it still would not be enough room. My biggest key to the space problems is two things. First, I take advantage of all the space I can that is up high. My shop is 36'x56'x14'. I built mezzanines where I use the space for storage. I try to use all nooks and crannys for storage. I get some of the stuff I have out of boxes and hang them up on a wall (more room for more items). The second is cheap reliable storage space. I had a garden shed that needed replacement. After figuring out the costs of these sheds, I instead got a couple of storage containers. The 20' one I use as my new garden shed. I put shelves in it and have big doors for my lawnmower and wood chipper. The second on is 40' and I filled it 1/2 full of shelves for "shop stuff". I also have a 22' trailer I use for some larger items. The thing I like about the storage containers is that they are solid, cheap, movable, and near rodent proof. I bought 2 storage containers for less than the price of a 1 stall garage. They work and they are secure too. I don't need all that stuff in my shop. Builder
This is my future shop as right now it is only being used for storage. Bigger than it looks, it's currently storing 4 trucks (3 half tons and 1 ton and a half Big Bolt), a 27 foot travel trailer, an extra Task Force cab, 2 canoes and a kayak, 2 garden tractors, a lawn sweep, 3 or 4 engines and transmissions and way too many parts to mention (hoods fenders etc), plus tool boxes, ladders, lumber etc. My brother in-law Terry helped me build it a dozen or so years ago. It features 14 foot side walls, 220 volt power, a 16x42' mezzanine, one each 18x12.and 10x8 overhead doors. A little more insulation and a source of heat is all I need to for it to be a fully year-round functional workshop.
Oh yeah, and the time to enjoy it. Still working full time. But someday .....
John
Last edited by J Lucas; 12/10/20193:45 AM.
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB In the Gallery My Flicker Photos!
One could remove the tin on the south wall and replace it with something to let the sun shine through-free heat. Double sided plastic panels with airspace between for insulation would one option.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
This is my future shop as right now it is only being used for storage. Bigger than it looks, it's currently storing 4 trucks (3 half tons and 1 ton and a half Big Bolt), a 27 foot travel trailer, an extra Task Force cab, 2 canoes and a kayak, 2 garden tractors, a lawn sweep, 3 or 4 engines and transmissions and way too many parts to mention (hoods fenders etc), plus tool boxes, ladders, lumber etc. My brother in-law Terry helped me build it a dozen or so years ago. It features 14 foot side walls, 220 volt power, a 16x42' mezzanine, one each 18x12.and 10x8 overhead doors. A little more insulation and a source of heat is all I need to for it to be a fully year-round functional workshop.
Oh yeah, and the time to enjoy it. Still working full time. But someday .....
John
Holy Smokes John, looking at the garage door opening it is full. That is your storage area, now you need to build a shop,lol.
1953 Chevrolet 3100 261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY Gallery Video of the 261 running
1964 GMC 1000 305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Kinda like Barnfind49's, here's my truck's garage. Someday when the daughter takes the '65 m00stang out of our garage, I might move the truck in there, but will say that the truck gets driven way more often being outside than it would if it was in a garage.
Craig
My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
I would like at least a 40 x 60 x 14 shop for Christmas. Forget the two front teeth I also want for Christmas because I never smile looking for hours, for things I set down only to find them buried by parts and stuff.
One could remove the tin on the south wall and replace it with something to let the sun shine through-free heat. Double sided plastic panels with airspace between for insulation would one option.
Removing tin is not an option as it provides stability for building. Not enough sunlight during winter months and would be of no help after dark.
Quote
Holy Smokes John, looking at the garage door opening it is full. That is your storage area, now you need to build a shop,lol.
I have other storage options when I get the time to play in the future workshop. Right now it's a convenience to just pack it all in for the winter.
Someday..........
John
Last edited by J Lucas; 12/10/201911:34 PM.
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB In the Gallery My Flicker Photos!
I would like at least a 40 x 60 x 14 shop for Christmas. Forget the two front teeth I also want for Christmas because I never smile looking for hours, for things I set down only to find them buried by parts and stuff.
Tom,
Since your still planning, take the walls to 16'. That way if you put a loft in using 2x12" floor joist you can have 7.5' of head room on both levels.
Also, the higher ceiling makes infrared heat (if that's how you want to heat the building) work better because you have proper clearance from combustibles.
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
Guess i feel lucky to have 2/3rds of a 60 x 80 bought the whole building 5 years back from my friend left him a side to work on Use it for my business in season but still have some room to tinker need to get couple of buildings at the farm i boight couple years ago in shap have a decen shop there too