I've notice an uptick in the stolen cars and trucks in magazines I read. Some seem to be found easier because of a tracking device on the vehicle.
Questions: has any of you put one on your truck? How much do they cost. Do YOU track it? If you can track it how does one actually know where it is?
OK, guys, teach me something. I'm thinking of putting one on my pickup....my friend had his enclosed trailer stolen, out from under his shed, recently and the questions above came up.
Good question Alvin! But I can't see anyone stealing a Fire truck! If it happens, I won't have to look too hard! Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Alvin, Google LoJack. Other than the factory stuff like OnStar that is the only system I’m familiar with.ðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Tuck an old Iphone under the dash, you would need to hot wire it to keep it charged tho. When someone steals your truck, use the "find my phone" app... of course, you might have to pay for the additional phone number.
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at a couple of them...........I'm getting old. I figured once I bought one that was the end. Nooo, most of them want monthly fees! Maybe I need to check out Radio Shack?........if any are still in business!
Again, thanks for the info and leading me in the right direction.
i also looked into security options a couple years ago, below are my 2¢
the iphone is a good idea... but there is a slightly better solution use an old ipad mini with cellular data plan
the ipad is better than the iphone for tracking application in almost every way - most carriers let you get a second data plan sim on your existing cell plan for as little as $10 or about that area - it CANNOT make or receive cellular calls and text messages (it will do imessage but that's not important, don't enable imessage on the ipad when you set it up) - it won't get called and spammed potentially interfering with it's intended use - it has a much larger battery for when your truck battery runs low - it has better reception due to larger antenna volume - with an ipad you can take a peak whenever you feel like it to check all is well, you can't check in on your truck just for fun with a lojack the down side is it's bigger to hide in the truck, but an ipad mini will fit well on top the glove box
lojack looks nice on the surface, but check coverage in your area first, you maybe disappointed, call your local police and ask about lojack before buying it also lojack is not available in Canada anymore according to their website. with lojack you also must let their tech install it in your precious truck, it is out of policy for you to do it yourself or be present while it's installed in it's secret location (often on top the glove box)
your ipad will work everywhere your chosen data plan works, i suggest checking out TMobile for this application because they told me they would do unlimited data worldwide for $20 more on my cell plan. -s
If you know how to secure your old truck the only way it could be stolen is with a tow truck or flat bed. There is no excuse for it getting driven away. Can you track a trak phone? They are fairly cheap to use.
Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks. Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.
As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
If you know how to secure your old truck the only way it could be stolen is with a tow truck or flat bed.
?? Chain it to something solid? Even that's not theftproof.
I locked a chain around one wheel of a cargo trailer and also to the tongue when I had to leave it on the road. My only thought was to make it harder for someone to drag it off. They still could but would smoke that one tire going down the road, or they'd have to have a different wheel to bolt on. The only real way is to make it hard enough for a determined thief to look for an easier target. JMHO.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Lock it or lose it! As the saying goes.. If it has wheels, weather they turn or not, I can take rather easily. See attached pic. If it dont have wheels then a rollback can load it up easily as well. Like previously stated, make it difficult or at least appear difficult. Thief's are usually lazy. JMHO from experience..