The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (RLB, Rusty Heaps), 88 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,143
Posts1,056,494
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1322102 08/16/2019 6:38 PM
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 9
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 9
In reassembling the front torque tube of my 3600 to the SM420 transmission, I found out that I forgot to add the cork seal to the torque tube ball cover (see link, thanks Denny Graham 2nd page 01W jpg). I didn't enjoy putting the tube assembly together the first time, and look forward less to doing it again. Would there be a problem slitting the cork, placing the slit to the top of the cover, and using a bit of permatex to re-seal it? Not trying to be lazy, just looking for an acceptable solution. Thanks

https://pbase.com/dennygraham/driveline&page=2

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I understand your pain but I think you will be disappointed. Having said that I would use RTV at the slit joint if I tried that.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 9
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 9
Well, I just bit the bullet and disassembled it and did it properly. Went better than I expected. This was my late fathers truck and he was a perfectionist in every sense of the word. I know that if he were here and heard me even talking about doing it any other way, I would have gotten an ear full. Thanks

Gary O #1322148 08/17/2019 12:52 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Good choice. I don't think the glued cork splice would have stood up to the movement that goes on in that assembly. It isn't much movement, but it can be abrupt.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0