The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Phak1, Greg_H, WICruiser, tclederman), 84 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,296
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 151
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 151
I've got a '46 Panel and put a MII frontend under it. Well when I went to hook up the coulmn I found that the splined end of the rack was to close to the upright portion of the crossmember. I've talekd to all the manufacturers and the only thing anyone could come up with was to notch the crossmember. Has anyone one else run into this? If you have how did you fix it? Here are some pics of the problem.

Steering Shaft

Steering Shaft2

Steering Shaft3

Thanks


David
Just a firefighter,
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
'46 1/2 T Panel
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
I just installed a mustang11 on a 53 frame, it looks exactly like yours. I was thinking the same thing as, not enough space to install the shaft. We are not that far along to install the shaft yet , let me know how you solved the problem

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Could you cut the splined section off and weld in a piece of pipe for an extention? If the pipe was a snug fit, everything would stay straight.
Just a thought,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 66
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 66
If you do any welding to correct your problem I would suggest that you drill, pin and plug weld as this is not an area for shoddy craftmanship, you do not want that sucker coming apart on you. Most of the time I see the pros notching the crossmembers before they mess with steering componants. Just my thoughts smile ......Dale


1939 GMC
1953 HD PANHEAD
1930 Chevy 3 window coupe
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Quote
shoddy craftmanship
Who said anything about shoddy work? It can be done correctly, that's why I suggested beefing it up with a pipe sleeve. It would be more secure than the set screws on the joint thats to be installed,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 66
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 66
I am sorry if it came across as this method of work being shoddy, what I meant was to have someone with welding experience do this task and as extra strenght drill and pin and then plug weld the pin..........Dale


1939 GMC
1953 HD PANHEAD
1930 Chevy 3 window coupe
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I agree with your second post about the added security of a pin. You could also grind a flat spot into each of the shafts before adding the sleeve, then press the sleeve into the flat spot before you weld it. That way you would have a positive lock like a spline for added strength.
Just another idea,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 96
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 96
Interesting, I was thinking of using a MII on the next project.
Borgeson makes all kinds of couplers, shafts, joints and adapters, you will have to go to the catalog to get the full list.
http://www.borgeson.com
I would go with pinning, or set screws thinking about fixing or replacing in the future.
Please keep us posted.

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 37
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 37
All I did was notch out the frame and weld it closed with a piece of metal, to get a little more clearence. I didn't like that tight clearence either.


"Boop-Boop-a-doop"

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0