Hi, I'm new here. I just picked up a 53 Chevy 6400 as a first project to work on with my boyfriend. We haven't settled on where we want to go with this project yet. Our first goal is to get it running (It needs a fuel pump)
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure!
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Right on. Thanks for the input. I pulled my 216 out and it looked literally identical to the one pictured. I have a 235 i need to go pick up but i have yet to see it (hasnt stopped me from buying accessories for it though) only thing i was curious about was the valve cover.. i was under the impression that the 235 had 4 side screw holes (screw holes hahaha) and the 216 had the 2 through the center. I guess ill wait and see what i get... im sure some of you guys would know alot more than me.
The early, low pressure (1941-1953) 235s had 2 center-top-bolts valve covers. High pressure & low pressure 1953 235s had 2 center-top-bolts valve covers. No high-pressure 235 was used a USA truck in 1953. A high-pressure 235 was used in the 1953 Corvette (and, I think in Powerglide-equipped-235s) - the Blue Flame Six (painted a light blue color).
1954 and later 235s (and all 261s) had 4 side screws valve covers.
Awesome thanks. I have an old blue flame 2 center bolt valve cover i was hoping to use... if not ill probably sell it. You definitely know what ur talking about.
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the info (I can use all help I can get )The only numbers I was able to get to were the serial number: LEA 29i963 and the Head code: 3701887 GM-6. I added the pics to the album.
Head [casting] code: 3701887 = 1953 235 truck head (low pressure engine)
Engine Serial Number: LEA = 1953 6000 series truck from Flint, MI engine 291963 - 1000 = 290963th engine out of that plant that year (Your number/code = is quite large. Can you post a photo of that code?)
Indeed -- Welcome! I see the Village Elders have formed the ceremonial detail, done the Stovebolt Dance of Welcome, sacrificed a Ford, etc, etc ...
It's good to discuss a course of action before diving in. We have a wealth of experience here so check in at the Big Bolts, Engine and Driveline forums and ask lots of question about what's related/involved in going in each of the directions you are thinking about. Check out our Tech Tips, too -- lots of info there. Some of it is actually useful.
In the meantime, we always recommend that the best way to start is just to get the truck safely driveable as is -- get it running reliably, make sure the brakes work correctly, check the tires and steering -- and just have a little fun with it this summer before making any big decisions. It may sound weird, but let the truck talk to you -- it will let you know what it wants. Some trucks are perfectly happy as is and don't want to be restored. Takes a little road time and a couple of oil changes before you can understand "truck" ...
Its always a treat to see a "new" truck (to the site) that has *paint* visible on the firewall, engine, interior, etc and not rust and gunk and oil grime build up Looks like you have a very solid truck there and a good basis for whatever you want to do.
Thanks for stopping in -- we're glad you're here. Now learn something, apply it and then share what you've learned with someone else.
Regards, John
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)