Bwana-Jim, Welcome to the Stovebolt. Not sure I can answer your question but I do know there were some "late" and "early" model changes in several years. The Advance Sign or "AD" style was from 47-54 and grilles were mostly interchangeable. We have also found that many previous owners did a lot of different things to the trucks through the years.
.........Since this is the Welcome Centre not many technical questions get answered here so please note that to get the fastest and most information be sure to ask questions in the most appropriate garage forum.
Oh, and a picture would be worth a thousand words.
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! Many did not like the ‘54-55 1st grill and retrofitted the earlier grills. Easily reversed.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
1953 Chevrolet 3100 261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY Gallery Video of the 261 running
1964 GMC 1000 305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
The box looks to have flat sides 54,55 does the truck have a one piece window or does it have the two piece with the centre bar. Pre 54 if two piece. How about some more pictures.