The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (CuzzFuzz), 83 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,423
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1266283 05/18/2018 1:01 AM
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 15
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 15
need to buy linkage between clutch lever to clutch pedal. Also see a diagram of this.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
The linkage you need is a oval loop chain available at any hardware store.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
This is my '38. Should be the same.
Attachments
IMG_2330.JPG (510.77 KB, 229 downloads)


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
My chain has a specially shaped link on at least one end. I can't remember why but it works.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 166
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 166
Tiny, thank you so much for posting this photo. I’ve been trying to figure out how the chain hooked up.


1937 Chevy pickup
In the Gallery
1952 MGTD
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
You are correct, there is an end piece that goes on the clutch pedal (I think) that is shaped differently. I used a link of the chain and reshaped it to work on the pedal.

Last edited by 6cylindersovertexas; 05/19/2018 2:43 AM.

"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 15
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 15
Thanks for sending this. How does the clutch chain attach to the lever. Is there a fitting or two that makes the connection ? Can you send me a picture of how this is done? I am getting close to putting this machine on the road. It will be a beauty. Painted the original blue with black fenders. Looking forward to the ride.
Truman

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
The chain loop at one end slips on the clutch lever. The other end of the chain slips on the hook at the bottom of the clutch pedal. Very antiquated.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
Originally the 37 pickup had a completely different clutch design with a different fork and graphite throw out bearing compared to post 1940 trucks. The attached picture is the end of the clutch pedal. The clutch fork has a round rod going through the smaller hole at the end, held in place by clips or cotter keys. The large hole is for the pedal bracket shaft.There is no hook or chain. The clutch free play is adjusted by setting the adjusting bolt shown in the picture.
Over time different parts may have been substituted, of course so I don't know what the OP started with. The original 37 bellhousing puts the clutch fork ball closer to the axis of the driveline by about 1/2 inch, compared to later bellhousings. The stomp starter is also designed differently so using a later engine with the later clutch is problematic. My truck has a 40 216 with the later clutch design, so we had to shorten the fork by cutting and rewelding to keep the original clutch pedal and stomp starter.

Attachments
clutch pedal.jpg (89.9 KB, 107 downloads)
37 clutch pedal


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
If this is the case with yours, Truman - forgive me. I thought mine was original! I am sorry.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
This is a picture out of one of the old MOTOR MANUALS that "might" help shed some light on the subject. Just adding this for information but appears it covers several years......and for 37 may pretty much cover the car and truck???


https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/n...d70q8vEpzuOPp0FlsCzGTUAvk4_=w610-h840-no


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0