Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
163
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 370 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 370 | I’m pulling my oil pan and want to paint it while I’m changing the gasket.
Can anyone recommend an off the shelf box store brand or color that is close to the grey blue used on a 1949 216?
Thx Don
Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Don,
Choosing that shade of gray is like choosing the one and true religion.
Try a search here on +engine +paint | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | Just mentioning "grey blue" is enough to get some blood boiling. You will probably find this topic with the search function by typing "No, you're stupid Fatso..."
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 370 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 370 | Just mentioning "grey blue" is enough to get some blood boiling. You will probably find this topic with the search function by typing "No, you're stupid Fatso..." I don’t follow. What’s the problem? Don
Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 | Don, Tim and Carl are only referring to the fact that there have been many discussions about the proper color engine paint for the 216, with a lot of disagreements. I don't think there is any "off the shelf box store brand" that comes close. My recommendation is the Filling Station which has a color close enough in a rattle can that will suffice.
Kent | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Don, its just that the "true color" has been beat to a pulp here for a very long time. One of our Bolters, Denny Graham, did a lot of research and came up with a color a lot of folks says is close and they like it..........on the other hand a lot of folks seem to learn toward another particular color. No one knows for sure....or can produce concrete documentation or formula.....and some may differ from one assembly plant to another.
...add in the fact it matters what kind of light you have a color under to compare and also some folks may even be a "little" color blind?!!!
I think you can "follow" the problem now! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 370 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 370 | Picked a color I thought looked like many pictures I’ve seen. Picked one I know will be there months from now so my engine will match itself. Picked an “engine “ paint. 😃
Don
Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | Just curious, what color did you pick?
I'm partial to the GM Blue or Pontiac Blue from Dupli Color. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,280 | BLUE???!!! (Just messin with you, Whitedog.) 
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,686 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2014 Posts: 3,686 | Just mentioning "grey blue" is enough to get some blood boiling. You will probably find this topic with the search function by typing "No, you're stupid Fatso..." Let me tell you how I feel about ZDDP......
1951 3100
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 370 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 370 | Just curious, what color did you pick?
I'm partial to the GM Blue or Pontiac Blue from Dupli Color. I picked a grey engine paint. When I originally posted the question I was hoping someone would respond with an off the shelf spray can. Something that would still be sold for a while so I could get a can each time I had the opportunity to paint another part of my motor. I believe it was Dupli Color grey engine paint. Don
Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Nice, Don
Post a few photos, please. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | BLUE???!!! (Just messin with you, Whitedog.)  Anything but orange is good by me. He could’ve painted it pink and I wouldn’t care. | | |
| |