The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (mick53, 2-Ton, stlcardinalsguy, Wally / Montana, Steelonsteel, Uncles51), 75 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,464
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1250386 01/10/2018 10:15 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
a few years ago I restored a 1951 half ton. Love that truck. Then my dad retired and it seemed like the right thing to do to let him keep the truck at his house as he had more time to appreciate it.

So in May of 2015 I was working in Nebraska and got a wild hair to look for trucks on craigslist. I found a great truck not 2 hours away from where I was working across the border in Kansas. The next day I drove to see the truck. 1948 6400 deluxe cab being used as a wheat truck. Truck reportedly ran last wheat season, had no brakes, burned lots of oil and howled in 3rd gear.
I bought it on the spot for what the guy was asking $900. I had it shipped to my place in the hills east of San Diego for another $1400.
Here is a shot of the truck in Kansas.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsbum3nw7sntc6r/20150602_175252.jpg?dl=0
and here back at my place
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbbfd7abjcb5ngc/20150608_100707.jpg?dl=0

so there she sat. i started bit by bit. first new wheel cyclinders and shoes. then rebuilt the hydrovac. then front tires. new seals on the rear axles. then new rear tires. re upholstered the seat so I had something to sit on while tinkering.

the motor looked to be a 235 from 54. since i wanted a full pressure motor anyway, I purchased a 261 in Santa Cruz from a fellow bolter. Brought it home and put it on a stand in my Dads shop thinking I was going to use it "as is". Well the next weekend I went by his place and found the motor fully torn down on his floor. He had a few choice words for me that included "slacker" and his hand out with receipts for rings, shims, seals, gaskets, tappets, and the head decked / valve job. My $900 engine was now a $2300 job. Luckily I scored a great sm420 from the guy I bought the motor from in great condition.
life got in the way and we took another 6 months to drop the motor in. During that time a friend cut me new glass for the doors, windshield and back glass and I picked up all new rubber from classic parts. luckily the corner glass was in good shape so just changed the moldings. The interior was in pretty good shape so a quick sanding,rattle can "dark bronze metallic", door panels, hood liner and floor mat made it seem like new. In december i completely rewired with a new harness and lights.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev6hjqvpvc1oyti/20171216_123130.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3urs78a84hl50n/20171216_123141.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ueif6zpj927zz4/20171216_123552.jpg?dl=0

i just tackled the 2 speed rear end. The diaphragm clambshell was gutted. no diaphragm and no retainer plates to hold it. I found a diaphragm on ebay and a good friend fabricated the retainer plates for me. After some trial and error it is now fully functional.

truck is now registered and I use it to go to the post office, pick up the kids at school and the odd errand. still need to rebuild the pto driveline for the dump bed and save up some mad money to rebuild the bed and maybe some stake sides.

here it is in the drive way
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn4t9lk41u04eye/1948%206400%202.jpg?dl=0

This truck has been an interesting project. Parts for the big bolt are quite a bit harder to source. I sure enjoy driving it and I look forward to future mini projects now that the big stuff is done.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
You have a handsome truck, Brian

Thanks for posting this story.

My guess is that the hood ornament is original (and, the stainless steel window trim)?
It looks real nice.

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
Tim,
I am not sure about the hood ornament as I think those may have been dealership installed options, but i think the stainless steel window trim was part of the "deluxe cab" package.
Brian

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Brian,

That big hood and big fenders looks real good.

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
sweet truck! nice write-up!


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
nice catch and nice looking. One day I'll have me a "big bolt". Thank you for your story. Very interesting.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
That's a great looking truck! All your hard work is definitely paying off.
Thanks for sharing!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 80
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 80
Great truck! And a great story to go with it!


1950 3100 5 Window
http://imgur.com/a/DAVYB

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0