The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Tronman, wilbur53, Jon G, GMCJammer51, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 85 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,569
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1242643 11/09/2017 3:04 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 30
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 30
Hi everyone, it's been a while since my last post, and I'm glad to be back.

Anyways, in my last post I asked what my next step should be on my 62 C10. I have the engine out (planning on swapping in a small block) and I asked what others thought I should work on while I sort out getting a new engine. It was suggested that I work on the brakes and just replace the brake lines and work on the drums, but I'm not totally confident that I know everything that will need to be repaired/replaced. I know the brake lines are all shot, but I'm not sure what the actually components inside the drums look like. I won't get to work on the truck until I get off school for Thanksgiving break, which is in a little over a week.

I was wondering if there are any good guides on how to restore drum brakes on old Chevy trucks, or if anyone has any tips on how I should go about working on them and identifying what needs to be replaced.

Thanks!


College student trying to restore grandad's 62 C10
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Matt, when working on brakes work on one wheel at a time so that you have a reference on the other side to look at. The 62 will be pretty straight forward. The drums should have a number stamped into the drum showing the minimum size/wear it can have. If not worn to much it can be turned at a brake or machine shop. That will true up the drums. Around here I get drums turned/trued for 5 bucks at my favorite place but most charge 8.50 here in my home town for drums.

Do you have a shop repair manual. If not it'd help you to get one from one of the vendors listed in the LInks section.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 11/09/2017 3:13 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 30
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 30
Thanks for the reply, I don't have the shop manual yet, I meant to purchase the 1960 shop manual but purchased the 1962 supplement manual by mistake. I plan on purchasing the shop manual when I purchase the replacement brake lines.

I assume that I'll also have to replace all the springs and other internals in the brakes as well as the wheel cylinders, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I want to be able to purchase the majority of the parts I'll need at one time for convenience and to save money on shipping.

If anyone is wondering about the condition of my truck, it's been sitting for 25+ years on the side of my grandfather's shop.
Here's a photo from a while back: My Truck


College student trying to restore grandad's 62 C10
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Matt, I do not think all the springs and things on your truck will be bad as they have been covered for the most part.
However, I do know you can buy the "kit" with all the springs and things in it. I would think for about 7 bucks a wheel if you get a discount somewhere. They fit a lot of years......you can check them out from the vendors but I'm sure you can get them from you local guys....cheaper and no shipping. I purchased some from Advance Auto just a short time ago for a 59. Probably the same thing fits yours?
Congrats on your truck and remember, we are all her to help. Its a journey we can help you with.

EDIT: you will also find a forum here for the 60-66 model year. We have a couple guys that are sharp on this style. Be sure to check out Jay's "lugnutz" build on his truck.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 11/09/2017 3:28 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Rockauto.com will have 99% of everything you could need for a total rebuild. Their online catalog is very easy to use. Shipping is quick and they do have a fairly good return policy if needed. Your drums will be 11X2 and are readily available if needed. As Alvin said these parts were used for many years and are not rare.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 30
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 30
Thanks to both of you guys, I appreciate the help. I'll hold of on getting any parts besides the brake lines until I get a good chance to look at the brakes and see what needs to be replaced.

Thanks again for the replies!


College student trying to restore grandad's 62 C10
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Inline tube has all of your brake lines in stock, individually or as a set. The hyd clutch line should be updated as well while you are there. All is doable with engine out. The hardest to get at is the line that runs across the frame under the trans mount. You should have easy access to the lines. All brake kits and cylinders are at napa or other local retailer.
You may have trouble getting the drums off. Youtube shadetree methods. It might take time and patience so plan that in. (Start the drum removal as soon as you get home.)


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0