The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 39Master85), 51 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,083
Posts1,056,331
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 35
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 35
The pivot point on my vent glass broke. I can buy a new vent glass window frame but thought I would see if anyone had ever fixed this problem. Plus, the new ones are chrome and I just need black.

broken vent





Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
In a word... Yes.

I even made a new threaded post and welded it on to replace the one one my pass.side frame.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Place a Want Ad in the Swap Meet?

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Is this the pivot receiver at upper pivot? The pin is still in tact? ..Tim? Wish there was a better pic or two... of a non broken one. Can't suggest DIY fix without that.

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/6962/Chevrolet_Pivot_Pin_Vent_Window_Upper.html

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/11464/Chevrolet_Clip_Vent_Window_Regulator_Spring.html

The long threaded stud at bottom is available.

Last edited by bartamos; 08/13/2017 11:38 PM.

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
Is this what you are after? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-54-Chevy-and-GM-Trucks-Vent-Window-Pivots-/352109730133?hash=item51fb601955:g:7zAAAOSwUKxYblhd&vxp=mtr
At least it gives you an idea to fabricate one if you can't buy these.
Click

Last edited by Greg_H; 08/14/2017 12:15 AM.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
Dunno if this helps or not, but when I first bought my '65 C10, the bottom threaded part on the bottom of the vent window frame was broken, but still there.

I took it all out and cleaned up the vent window frame, then had the threaded part welded back onto the bottom of the frame by a professional.

The trick is to know which way the piece fits on, the first time they welded it on backwards, because we had no idea until I went to install it.

I do not remember if I took the glass out that time or not... it may have fell out because the adhesive was rotten. I dunno.

Good luck,

-W


Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 35
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 35
Here is a better pic of the part that is broken. It's so small and thin I don't think I can mig weld it.

broken vent

What is should look like

good vent

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Maybe I don't see this clearly yet but. Of course you can weld it. That is plenty thick. Why not? Come on, Just weld it and then work it back to the configuration by die grinding and/or drilling. You have NOTHING to lose, by trying, if you are going to throw it away. You need to remove the glass.
Can you cut back past the half hole, then make a piece with a hole drilled in it and weld it on. You should probably have the two pieces (frame and glass frame) "mated"/held together and pivot pin in hole, stud mounted with spring and nut.... as you weld. Tack and test rotation, then final weld.

Option 2.
You can grind off the entire remaining piece, make a whole new piece and weld or rivet it on. Where is everybody's will power? This is a piece of cake compared to many other fixes. Push the go button.

Option 3.
Wait for a painted one on Ebay to appear. One will, eventually..........or on here as Tim suggests.

Your added pictures are appreciated but way to far back from subject area.



Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
I was way off. I thought the threaded stud on the bottom was what was broken.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Took me some time to zero in also. I'm not positive about my suggestions even now. But that is because I don't have an AD to look at.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 225
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 225
It's certainly weldable....I did mine on passenger side not long ago (1951 3100). Did what bartamos said in option 2, as I had to fabricate one. Dremel tool goes a long way on this small stuff also. As it is, it's no good anyway. I've gone to using .023 solid on my mig for patch panels and repairs, and it worked fine on this pivot plate. What's the worst that could happen? It still not be useable?

Mike


Mike

1951 3100 5 window
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 35
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 35
10-4. I'll try to fix it this weekend. Thanks All!

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
for me those rivets that you use there are a pain in the butt. I've had some that just would not set.

I took one of the rivets to my local machine shop and had him make me some bolts the same size but with threads on the bottom. Used a nylon lock nut on it and forgot about even trying the rivets ever again. I think he make me 10 for about 15 bucks. Money well spent and the guys that I gave the extra's to also love them!....sorry I don't have two more but just saying. You may have a machine shop buddy!!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 225
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 225
I used a 10-24 x 1/2" Button Head Socket Machine Screw(which are black), and a 10-24 nylon locknut, on both my vent windows.. It's all gonna be painted anyway.

Mike


Mike

1951 3100 5 window
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
SS button heads are also available.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,049
If you can get a mini torch or jewelers torch you can do some pretty fine welding.


Old enough to know better, too young to resist.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0