The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Tiny, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 118 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,476
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
Went and looked at it and paid for it, trying to figure out how to get it home (200 miles away).

It's a 1950 Chevy 5700 with a dump bed. Really great condition, no rust at all.
I was told, about 25-30 years ago the original engine failed and some brothers at a hotrod shop put in a V8 under the cab (the air cleaner is about centered on the cab between the back of the cab and the bed. They also installed an automatic transmission. Did a very nice job, didn't cut up a single thing that I can see. The previous owner said it runs, with only 500 mile or so on the rebuilt V8 (he thought it was a Buick engine, his son recalled it being a 454).
No brakes.
I'd post photos, but it seems difficult.

Last edited by GarlandFarms; 03/31/2018 1:35 PM.
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
welcome to the site! Sounds like a fun truck, can hardly wait to see some pictures! Lower left of this page is a tutorial on how to post pics.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
http://s215.photobucket.com/user/smashsquatch/media/Screenshot_2017-04-23-19-57-17.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
SWEET! Gotta love old COEs!


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Congratulations. Jeffrey

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Where in CO are you?

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
Lakewood, just a couple miles west of Denver, Near Crown Hill Park, if you're familiar with that landmark.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
That's a great truck. Rust free and straight.
Must be nice to have one that you can repaint without taking all the sheet metal off and starting from scratch.
Get some pictures of the engine and transmission installation.
Did they have to change the engine cover in the cab?

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
I'm not going to mess with the paint. We're going to use it gently at our little farm. The only thing they did was run the auto shifter lever through the existing hole in the floor. None of the frame or body was cut up in anyway to mount the new engine.
I'll post more photos when it arrives this weekend. Should be driving it Sunday.

Last edited by GarlandFarms; 04/26/2017 12:30 AM.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
I'm doing a COE we will call a '51. Late 49 cab on a 51 chassis. It came with a 283 V-8 and a 4 speed. The small block and exhaust cleared the frame rails by less than an inch on either side so I'm anxious to see how they fit a big block in there.

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
I'll post some more photos this weekend of the engine and how it was mounted.

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 60
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 60
What's the story on the nice Columbia bike? Great looking frame.

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 99
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 99
Gorgeous truck. Good luck with it.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
OOOOooo, man, I sure like it and its outfitted just the way I'd like it. Nice catch. Drive it with pride.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
The Columbia is a 1920 Archbar. I'm actually selling the bicycle to help finance this truck.
*And a couple other teens, 20s & 30s bicycles and some large, vintage woodworking tools. It's going to be painful letting some of it go, but totally worth it.

Last edited by GarlandFarms; 04/27/2017 2:10 PM.
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 305
Nice !!!

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93

Last edited by GarlandFarms; 05/11/2017 5:21 AM.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,518
Wow, great score. Looks like a really fine truck.


1953 Chevrolet 3100
261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done
In the DITY Gallery
Video of the 261 running

1964 GMC 1000
305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
Here's a link to a 2 minute walk around. Not the greatest, but a closer look.


Last edited by GarlandFarms; 05/27/2017 3:38 PM.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 667
Really sweet looking old gal! Gotta love that Bulldog face. And it looks to be in outstanding condition. Please do keep the pix coming!


1946 1.5-Ton Chevy Shorty Bus
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Tango's 1946 Chevy "Skoolie" Project
All my best --- Tango
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
Thanks Tango. My wife & I named the truck 'Champ' because he came from Champion, NE. My '46 is named 'Otis', he's from Otis, CO.
Here's a few more photos. Sorry they're in the same spot, apparently the engine is stuck. I have dumped some WD-40 in the spark plug holes and am letting it do it's work.
In the meantime, I found a recovered bench locally at a good price and will use it as a place holder until I get around to recovering the original one. Also got some replacement door panels, a new glovebox liner and latch, replacement ashtray and the incorrect headliner (I accidentally got the one for the panel truck - anyone need it? Pay for shipping and it's yours!).
Anyway, I've done many many miles of pretend driving. I just love sitting in this thing. I can't wait to put him to work. Until then, I'm sure I'll have many more questions. Thanks in advance.

Interior:
[IMG]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc59/smashsquatch/IMG_20170521_083808362.jpg[/IMG]
Late Spring Snow
[IMG]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc59/smashsquatch/IMG_20170518_171923783.jpg[/IMG]

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Garland Farms, PM sent.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 6
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 6
Wow, great looking truck! Really looking forward to seeing your progress.

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
Thanks. I made another video yesterday, I'm not very good at making them, but here it is anyway...


Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Looks good ! I've passed on a couple with V8 conversions through the years, but that's just me. Good luck with it.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by spanky
Looks good ! I've passed on a couple with V8 conversions through the years, but that's just me. Good luck with it.

Thanks Spanky, this set up isn't my first choice either, but these rigs are hard to find out here, it was a good price & I feel fortunate to have it.
Very fortunate. I've wanted one for a long time and this one is in great shape, they didn't cut anything up to mount the engine.
I'll probably keep it like this and work on it until it's roadworthy. Maybe keep an eye out for a replacement engine. Either way, it's going to be a fun truck and eventually a real help around my place.

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
That's good to know that they didn't cut anything original up, mounting the V8. The ones I looked at each time had the air cleaner sticking up through the floor, and other hacked up areas.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27
Thanks for the pix and video, great find, keep after it as the truck is really nice.

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
I've been busy with work and haven't had time lately to work on the truck, but have been thinking about converting it back to the original engine configuration. What are the difficult parts to find if I had a 235 from a conventional style cab? I know the carb is an updraft, is the exhaust manifold different? Anything else, like special linkage, etc.
I'm just wondering if I should start looking for parts and hang on to them.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Spanky and a few other members should know the parts that differ from smaller trucks on 47-54 Chevrolet COEs.

On GMC COEs these parts differ:
- exhaust manifold (as well as the intake manifold & carburetor you mentioned)
- choke cable
- throttle cable
- air cleaner and PCV plumbing
- wiring harness routing and some lead-lengths
- steering column and under-dash mounting bracket
- radiator and mounting frame and mounting bolts/etc
- oil filter location and plumbing

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Yes, Carb, intake and exhaust manifolds are different.
The shifting linkage is unique.
The stomp starter pieces are different.
Those are the big ones.
I have all that on one of the engines I pulled out of the COE's from the current project. Haven't looked at condition of anything yet. PM me.
When this truck is finished I was thinking about a big E-Bay garage sale to get rid of years of Big Bolt and other parts.

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
Thanks for all the great info. I'll likely drive it the way it is until this engine starts giving me trouble, but down the road I'd like to do a conversation back to the original engine configuration. But I'd like to keep an eye out now for parts, as I know they're scarce and ain't getting an cheaper.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
A 261 instead of a 235 would be a valuable addition.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
Well, nearly a year later, I finally got the old coe on the road. The big break thru came when I found an affordable donor cabover chassis and engine/transmission and dump bed (the previous owner sold the cab to a New Zealand collector for $9k!). It took some work and a whole lot of cleaning to get the engine on the chassis running, then I pulled the cab off the original chassis (doors, fenders, hood and all) and placed it onto the 'new' chassis.
Runs great, super fun to drive. Looking to get tags this week.
Thanks for all the help along the way.



Similar walk around video I made a year ago...


Last edited by GarlandFarms; 03/22/2018 6:00 PM.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Nice! Thanks for sharing the ride, she looks good.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
Great looking truck! Thanks for the photos and video's!
It's great "Champ" will be put back into the work force.
Congrats!

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
When are we going to see some pictures in this post?? Just follow the instructions posted in the column to the left. It's pretty simple and easy.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Looking good, GarlandFarms

Please keep posting photos, when you get it legally on the road.

Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 93
Thanks, I'm excited to start get it out of retirement. I still need to get the lights wired, but the tags are on the way.
I'll see about the photos when I get back to the desktop computer.

Here's a couple of test run videos in the meantime





Attachments
Champoffchassis.jpg (64.66 KB, 55 downloads)
Champonnewchassis.jpg (165.46 KB, 60 downloads)
Champflatbed.jpg (128.7 KB, 59 downloads)
Champside.jpg (72.05 KB, 58 downloads)
Champfront.jpg (86.96 KB, 53 downloads)

Last edited by GarlandFarms; 03/23/2018 7:49 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0