The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (burgundybolt, TUTS 59, Hotrod Lincoln), 98 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,333
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#121386 07/26/2006 8:46 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I have not been one to do much "body work" so I need help on a thing or two. I have glass beaded the hood latch on the panel but don't think it will look good or original looking if its painted. Soooo, isn't there a cadium paint or something that you can spray them with to keep the original looking color. I think I have seen this somewhere. (probably Eastwood but the $$ is high)My question is just exactly what is the color you get?? Or do you just spray what it is with clear, which I have never done. I think the same thing goes for the hood hinges. I want to put something on these things so they won't rust or tarnish in a month or two!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I painted mine the same as the body color.

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 53
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 53
The hinges and latch were dipped in a phosphate solution from the factory. If originality is what you're after, spray em with clear lacquer.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
You can buy the paint you referred to from Eastwoods.

www.eastwoodco.com


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 49
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 49
I am going through the same thing. I have been told that the hinges, latch plate, etc. were cadmium plated but its nearly impossible to find people who will do it because of environmental hazards. I first tried using Eastwood's silver colored carb paint as I had some already and its pretty tough stuff. The hinges looked good but I am a perfectionist and blasted that back off and tried Eastwood's cadmium paint. It looks about the same but in all actuality, I thought the carb paint looked better. I am still undecided as to which way to go.

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 804
Look around for a cad and zinc plater in your area. I have one near me that does it for super cheap. It doesn't cost anywhere near as much as chrome plating.

Brian


1948 Chevy Pickup
Chopped and sectioned
owned since 1974 when I was 15.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I ask a local Mopar Restoration shop that does a LOT of restorations but only on Mopar. He suggest I use a couple coats of self etching primer out of a spray can, then buy a good can of the Hammer Finish Stainless spray can. He says it may not be "original" but would look good. I think that is what I will try and if it don't look good or suit me I will bead blast it back off and start over......maybe I can find a zinc or cad plater. Let you know by the weekend if I like the "hammer stainless".


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0