The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nick in Manitou, klhansen), 77 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,315
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
So I’ve got brake fluid leaking out of the back of the brake master cylinder. Also now that the brake fluid is low I can see some rust in the bottom of the reservoir.

Mine is power brakes with the flatter vac booster a single diaphragm I think. And one brake line off the master cyc. 4 wheel drum.

So I’ll need a new master cylinder.
Should I replace the brake booster at the same time? Could the fluid have got back into the booster and caused damage?

Would it be an upgrade to go with a master cylinder that has two exit ports and do some plumbing to separate front and rear drums? It’s always made me kind of nervous that the whole show is running off one shared line.

Looks like Rock Auto has a 1 inch master cylinder with booster for a 1967 c2500 with two outlets. I think that might work.

But I'm glad i don't have any fresh paint on my fenderwells now :)


Zach
1966 GMC 1-Ton Flatbed 2505
PhotoBucket Photo of the 66
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 70
Yes the dual reservoir M/C would be an upgrade. 66 was the last year of the single system. I believe along with the master cylinder you would need the proportional valve block.


ESum
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

This setup will work for you :

brake booster and MC mounted in engine bay

There are other photos of my engine compartment on the site there if you want to see some other angles.

-W

p.s. this is a text write up of how the brake lines on my truck were routed, it may have no bearing on your set up :

brake line routing

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
" It’s always made me kind of nervous that the whole show is running off one shared line" that truck has lived it's life for 50 years with that setup. it worked fine for what it was designed for at it's and how vehicles were driven. It depends on what you want to do with the truck and how you are going to frive. if you are going to uprade the power and drive it in todays hurry up offensive style in heavy traffic then I would make sure to upgrade the system.
ron

Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
Thanks Woogeroo! your pics confirmed what I was hoping.

This is the setup I'm going for. I ordered a loaded booster / master cylinder for a 1967 2500 from Rockauto today. it's the same listing as a 1969. Classic Industries has a proportioning valve for drum/drum I'll get.

I'm planing to replace the old lines with stainless tube while I'm working on it. Maybe even braided hoses if I come across some at a good price. I know I don't need them for this application but I think they look cool.

one question... does the smaller brake line run to the front or rear brakes on your truck? (the one forward after the valve, I think it looks smaller at least) I think the proportioning valve I'm looking at getting has a port for each front brake and one to split at the rear axle. but I'm not sure yet.

Thanks, Zach



Zach
1966 GMC 1-Ton Flatbed 2505
PhotoBucket Photo of the 66

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0