The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bill Hanlon, 66flea, Frank50, 3800GUY, KDrown, delwrench), 78 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,636
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 23
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 23
Although I think I've seen this discussed before I searched and found no answer. I am working on my '47 3100 front-end and need to replace the ball studs on the drag link and tie rods. It is my intention to run 6 lug 4x4 Rally wheels when I finish the truck. Should I upgrade the tie rod ends and drag link with the more modern style or replace with the stock style. I'm installing a 235, T5 and later model rear axle. I intend on driving at highways speeds.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Do you care if they look modern or look original?

You can find original-style replacements (adjustable) or modern, "sealed" replacements (non-adjustable).

New (original style) tie-rod ends and a properly adjusted steering assembly allow me to cruise smoothly and straightly at 60-65 mph (3.55 R&P conversion).

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 23
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 23
Originality isn't of too much importance due to the many other modifications.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
The offset on the rally wheels may make some difference of clearance on the tie rod end.

On my 52 Panel, which still has the straight axle/suspension I changed to the modern stuff and I'm using a 10" wide wheel.

I have read where some bolters had a problem with the tires rubbing the original tie rod end. So be sure to check when buying rims or tires.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
I have the modern tie rod ends on my 59. I have the rally style 6 lug wheels and don't have a problem with tires rubbing. 7 inch in front, 8 in back. The rally wheels are the kind that came on early Monte Carlos,and corvettes.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I'm still running the stock style tie rod ends on my '55 2nd with 15 x 8 4x4 Rallys, they have plenty of clearance.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 164
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 164
Tommy if your rally's are the style off early corvette or Monte Carlo they can't be six lug, as they were only five lug. Possibly off an early blazer? For six lug?

Joe

Last edited by jremig; 01/15/2017 2:31 AM.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
Probably was of a blazer, just used monte carlo/vette as an example that people commonly see.


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
There are actually 6 completely different styles of Chevrolet Rally wheels, 5 are 5 lug, 1 is 6 lug. The styling is different on all 4.
Corvette/Passenger
Rally 2
S 10 2wd/
Nova/Camaro Rally
5 lug Truck/Van Rally This wheel can also be found on some full size Chevrolet cars, usually in white.
6 lug Rally, commonly known as the Blazer Rally


Last edited by LONGBOX55; 01/15/2017 11:50 PM.

Bill Burmeister

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0