Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
151
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,289 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 206 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 206 | Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on the hydraulic fluid brand or type to use when draining and refillingg the hoist on my 58 Viking grain truck? I don't know how old it is and assume I should change it out. The hoist works fine with a small leak at the pump | | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 186 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 186 | Aw68 is a good general purpose use hydraulic oil.can't tell you what brand to get as I don't what's available to you in Texas. It would also be good to change the filter. If you don't have ano external filter then it will be in the tank..Many parts stores will have it,equipment shops or farm supply stores. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy txpete, most of my hydraulic systems are so leaky that I just buy a pail of whatever is on sale, you can use almost any engine oil or automatic transmission fluid can also be used, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 | Not trying to steal your topic, But I have a question related. Hydraulic Fluid Question. What about a 1967 GMC 9500 with a 65' Grove hydraulic ladder? I did some searching a few years ago, and there is not much info out there on the Hydraulics at all. Heck, I can't even find a print on the design of the hydraulic system. AW68 will be the one I use, unless somebody tells me different. My thoughts are, that if it is not a Fyrquel brand hydro oil, and the right viscosity, it will work just fine.
Thanks Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | A lot of the dump trucks I've worked on over the past 40-something years used plain old 30 weight non detergent motor oil. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 1,611 | The maintenance manual for my 1941 Hercules dump ram calls for a 10 weight oil, AW32 is what I use. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 331 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 331 | I always use automatic transmission fluid. Been doing that for 30 years without issue.
1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 206 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 206 | Thank you all for the timely and good info... Keep helping ,,,,we newbies appreciate your knowledge | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 206 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 206 | Btw my hoist is an Omaha Standard original add on totruck I was was told by 2nd owner (67-2016) | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 164 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 164 | I use the same hydraulic oil I use in my tractors, a type 303 for JD and others. I think it's 20W. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 | Many years of working on hydraulic systems on all kinds of antique farm equipment and lift bodies comes down to the following formula: Good pump and seals - AW32 hydraulic oil Slightly worn pump & valves, weeping seals - AW46 Very worn pump & valves, drippy seals - AW68
Last edited by Jim Sears; 01/03/2017 4:12 PM.
| | |
| |