The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Truckrolet), 156 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,291
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1193863 12/05/2016 12:24 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on the hydraulic fluid brand or type to use when draining and refillingg the hoist on my 58 Viking grain truck? I don't know how old it is and assume I should change it out. The hoist works fine with a small leak at the pump


The 1958 TRI-FECTA
Stepside, Fleetside and Cameo

In the Gallery
More Fleetside pix
More Cameo pix
More Apache Stepside pix
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 186
Q
'Bolter
'Bolter
Q Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 186
Aw68 is a good general purpose use hydraulic oil.can't tell you what brand to get as I don't what's available to you in Texas. It would also be good to change the filter. If you don't have ano external filter then it will be in the tank..Many parts stores will have it,equipment shops or farm supply stores.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy txpete, most of my hydraulic systems are so leaky that I just buy a pail of whatever is on sale, you can use almost any engine oil or automatic transmission fluid can also be used, hope that helps.

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,599
Not trying to steal your topic, But I have a question related.
Hydraulic Fluid Question.
What about a 1967 GMC 9500 with a 65' Grove hydraulic ladder?
I did some searching a few years ago, and there is not much info out there on the Hydraulics at all.
Heck, I can't even find a print on the design of the hydraulic system.
AW68 will be the one I use, unless somebody tells me different.
My thoughts are, that if it is not a Fyrquel brand hydro oil, and the right viscosity, it will work just fine.

Thanks
Don




1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
A lot of the dump trucks I've worked on over the past 40-something years used plain old 30 weight non detergent motor oil.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
The maintenance manual for my 1941 Hercules dump ram calls for a 10 weight oil, AW32 is what I use.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 331
I always use automatic transmission fluid. Been doing that for 30 years without issue.


1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
Thank you all for the timely and good info... Keep helping ,,,,we newbies appreciate your knowledge


The 1958 TRI-FECTA
Stepside, Fleetside and Cameo

In the Gallery
More Fleetside pix
More Cameo pix
More Apache Stepside pix
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 206
Btw my hoist is an Omaha Standard original add on totruck I was was told by 2nd owner (67-2016)


The 1958 TRI-FECTA
Stepside, Fleetside and Cameo

In the Gallery
More Fleetside pix
More Cameo pix
More Apache Stepside pix
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 164
I use the same hydraulic oil I use in my tractors, a type 303 for JD and others. I think it's 20W.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Many years of working on hydraulic systems on all kinds of antique farm equipment and lift bodies comes down to the following formula:
Good pump and seals - AW32 hydraulic oil
Slightly worn pump & valves, weeping seals - AW46
Very worn pump & valves, drippy seals - AW68

Last edited by Jim Sears; 01/03/2017 4:12 PM.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0