The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Gray_Ghost), 87 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
Here's another one of my off-the-wall ideas- - - -most people think that once a crankshaft gets reground to .030" undersize or so, it's junk. "T'aint necessarily so!" How about finding a smaller-diameter bearing to adapt to the undersized crankshaft? I've been kicking around the idea of adapting Babbit bearing 216/235 rods to a more available, less expensive bearing than the one that's being used now, and I believe this idea would also useful for salvaging some crankshafts that might be discarded otherwise.

A Federal-Mogul 2015 CPA rod bearing that fits several Massey-Ferguson tractor engines can be fitted to a bored-out 216/235 Babbit rod, and actually requires slightly less material to be removed from the rod than the regular insert conversion requires. Here's "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say- - - - -The M-F rod journal is approximately 1/16" smaller diameter than the Stovebolt crankshaft, so those "trash" crankshafts that have been scrapped before can now be reground to -.060" and run a standard-diameter Massey-Ferguson rod bearing! 600+ HP NASCAR Chevy V8's run Honda rod bearings that are much smaller diameter than Chevy OEM bearings and stay together, so why wouldn't a low-speed, low torque stovebolt six be able to do the same thing? As soon as I get my rod reboring equipment up and running, I just might offer somebody a resized crankshaft/rod setup as a test bed.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 135
Sounds very interesting.......



Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
A bearing set for a 3-cylinder M-F engine is $15.00 on Ebay- - - -that would be 30 bucks for a set of 6! How does that compare to the conversion bearings Egge Machine sells?
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
The only thing I have heard about cranks getting ground is the thickness of the hardening on the top surface. It may all be rumors, but after .030" the crank surface can become softer if the hardening didn't penetrate. Again, thats what I have for years. But I agree with saving older parts, and a low hp engine surely wouldn't hurt a crank with the limited use they get.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 107
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 107
I think its definitely worth looking into. I'm not sure there is a down side unless maybe the -0.060 grind is starting to get into some metallurgic property that is undesirable on the crank. Even then, it will probably still last nearly as long as a normal rebuild would. I suppose the other issue would be needing rods that haven't been converted to the usual inserts, if you already have them and are needing a rebuild.


1946 Chevy Pictures
1946 Chevrolet 2-ton. In family since new. Splash oiled 235, 4 speed main, 3 speed aux, single speed 6.17 rear. Original GM supplied 12' stake bed, paint on sideboards is still from the factory.
Ride Along Video!
Ride Along with a little load
Video Channel
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
I seriously doubt that a stovebolt crank got much, if any surface hardening, even when brand new and standard diameter. Getting a surface hardening job to penetrate more than a few thousandths would be quite a chore. Even the race cranks we paid big bucks to get nitrided only got hardened about .005" deep or so.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Way back in dinosaur times when I was a kid and WWII was happening parts and tires were non existent so shops would grind a crank till it was round and then pour Babbit till the hole in the rod could made to be the same size as the crank. The engines were very low compression/rpm and the roads of that time set an automatic low speed limit. Don't know why a smaller crank pin and bearing would be a problem. The smaller the journal the slower the surface speed and less heat from friction. I'd give one a try in an instant. Would be interesting to set a crank in V-blocks and have a hydraulic ram with a pressure gauge read out to see at what point of under size journals the crank becomes more flexible.


Evan
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Well Jerry, I figured you would start climbing the walls in a few days after your hand surgery, and I think I am right. I don't know enough about machining to even try to sounds intelligent, but the idea of mixing/matching/machining obsolete parts is a very creative idea and a great way to repurpose good parts. I would love to see you "test" the idea.

Last edited by Paul_WNC; 09/25/2016 3:03 PM.

1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
The advantage of a steel-backed bearing over simply increasing the thickness of the Babbit should be that the soft bearing material is at a minimum. That, plus the slower surface speed of the smaller diameter journal should allow the modified engine to live at somewhat higher RPM. Add a set of lightweight aluminum pistons, and the old babbit-pounders ought to be able to keep up with traffic for a change! Add the high volume oil pump conversion I'm working on, and things could really get interesting!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Go for it Jerry. I like "interesting" things. Thinking out of the box is where a lot of the great things we have today came from......easy does it on the wrist though. (Telling that to Jerry is like talking to a wall.....they don't hear a thing)


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 592
Jerry, good luck! The one good thing about my 261 project being stalled as I wait for parts is that maybe your high volume oil pump will be ready before I button up the bottom end!

Matt


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0