The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (2-Ton, Hotrod Lincoln, Chip O), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,477
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1175312 07/24/2016 11:45 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 127
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 127
any thoughts on how to remove steering wheel on a 46. I have the button off but what next??

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I can,t remember. Are there two threaded holes in the steering wheel near the shaft? If so you use a steering wheel puller. A cross bar with three bolts. Two thread into the steering wheel the third is threaded through the cross bar and tightened until it pops the wheel loose. If not have a friend pull up on the wheel while you give the center shaft a good wrap with a hammer. Leave the nut on at the top of the threads to protect the threads.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Maybe, maybe not....but I have left the nut threaded on even with the shaft to protect the shaft, then slid down in the seat till I could get my knees under the steering wheel then push upward whack it in the center with a hammer at the same time. Has worked for me many times when I couldn't afford or borrow a puller.
...I'd squirt a little penetrating oil down around the shaft and let it work for a few minutes.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,226
There should be two small holes for a puller. The '37 uses 10-32 threaded screws, so I had to make a puller out of some 1/4" steel strap and a 3/8-16 center bolt. I still use Alvins method once I get some pressure on the puller. The 10-32 screws don't like a lot pressure on them. I found allen head screws are a lot tougher and can take more of a beating.

Joe

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Using Alvin's process has removed 99% of the wheels I've had to remove in my time. The other 1% I had to borrow a puller.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0