Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (delky, Steelonsteel),
235
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 | I know that my son's 1946 2 ton windshield cranks open. So what was the last year Chevy/GMC offered that? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | I believe the 47 FIRST series was just like the 46's so my guess it that was the last year, 47 first. Others may know different??? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,061 | Yes, 47 1st series. The Art Deco style was the last as far as I know.
1946 1-ton Panel 1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body | | | | | Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 | Thanks for the replies.
I am a big fan of the open windshield. Jeffrey | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Chevrolet (trucks) simply sold the 1946 truck into the 1947 calendar year. They did not use the term "first series" (as they did in 1955) - they simply sold them and registered them as 1947 trucks.
GMC did not use the term "first series" or "second series" in either 1947 or in 1955. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | Yeah, the Art Deco was the last series for those water and wind leaking suckers. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 119 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2013 Posts: 119 | Art Deco was the last series for those water and wind leaking suckers On a steamy, hot summer day in stop & go traffic nothing is more refreshing than cranking the windshield open an inch or two | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | The cowl vent provides a lot of airflow, I can see how the windshield would help but it wasn't worth the leaks to me, so I removed mine. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 193 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 193 | Last year for crank start? 46-47 Art Deco again? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | I think the trucks went to 53, I believe my 52 five window had one, never used it but I recall the hole...or am I dreaming did some checking.. I was right for a change
Last edited by joker; 06/15/2016 3:49 PM.
Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | Joker is right for the crank start. Why are we asking an unrelated question without a new thread?
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,074 Authorized Pest | | Authorized Pest Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 5,074 | Crank start. Crank windshield. Kinda like the computer putting in words it thinks you are going to say. 
~ Peggy M 1949 Chevrolet 3804"Charlie" - The Stovebolt FlagshipIn the Gallery"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | I am a cranking old man and I think the poster is trying to slip something by Cletis, kind of hard to do.. I just respond.
Last edited by joker; 06/16/2016 8:33 PM.
Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 | My son's 1946 2 Ton still has the hand crank support bolted in place on the upper inside of the bumper.
It can be repositioned on top of the bumper to support the hand crank.
Does that bracket need to be used to hand start the engine?
I have no inclination to do that though when we got the truck on of the 1st things we bought was a hand crank.
As mentioned the hand crank makes is easier to set points and adjust valves. Problem with our crank is too short to clear the bumper so the most we can turn the engine over is 180 at a time. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 1,596 | My son's 1946 2 Ton still has the hand crank support bolted in place on the upper inside of the bumper.
It can be repositioned on top of the bumper to support the hand crank.
Does that bracket need to be used to hand start the engine?
I have no inclination to do that though when we got the truck on of the 1st things we bought was a hand crank.
As mentioned the hand crank makes is easier to set points and adjust valves. Problem with our crank is too short to clear the bumper so the most we can turn the engine over is 180 at a time. As long as you're not starting it with a crank too short. Sounds like a recipe for disaster if it kicks back. | | |
| |