The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
I know that my son's 1946 2 ton windshield cranks open. So what was the last year Chevy/GMC offered that?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I believe the 47 FIRST series was just like the 46's so my guess it that was the last year, 47 first.
Others may know different???


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
Yes, 47 1st series. The Art Deco style was the last as far as I know.


1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Thanks for the replies.

I am a big fan of the open windshield.
Jeffrey

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Chevrolet (trucks) simply sold the 1946 truck into the 1947 calendar year. They did not use the term "first series" (as they did in 1955) - they simply sold them and registered them as 1947 trucks.

GMC did not use the term "first series" or "second series" in either 1947 or in 1955.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Yeah, the Art Deco was the last series for those water and wind leaking suckers.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 119
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 119
Originally Posted by 46gmcpu
Art Deco was the last series for those water and wind leaking suckers


On a steamy, hot summer day in stop & go traffic nothing is more refreshing than cranking the windshield open an inch or two

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
The cowl vent provides a lot of airflow, I can see how the windshield would help but it wasn't worth the leaks to me, so I removed mine.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 193
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 193
Last year for crank start? 46-47 Art Deco again?


1946 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Gallery
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
I think the trucks went to 53, I believe my 52 five window had one, never used it but I recall the hole...or am I dreaming

did some checking.. I was right for a change

Last edited by joker; 06/15/2016 3:49 PM.

Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Joker is right for the crank start. Why are we asking an unrelated question without a new thread?


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Crank start. Crank windshield. Kinda like the computer putting in words it thinks you are going to say.

grin


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
I am a cranking old man and I think the poster is trying to slip something by Cletis, kind of hard to do.. I just respond.

Last edited by joker; 06/16/2016 8:33 PM.

Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
My son's 1946 2 Ton still has the hand crank support bolted in place on the upper inside of the bumper.

It can be repositioned on top of the bumper to support the hand crank.

Does that bracket need to be used to hand start the engine?

I have no inclination to do that though when we got the truck on of the 1st things we bought was a hand crank.

As mentioned the hand crank makes is easier to set points and adjust valves. Problem with our crank is too short to clear the bumper so the most we can turn the engine over is 180 at a time.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by 32vld
My son's 1946 2 Ton still has the hand crank support bolted in place on the upper inside of the bumper.

It can be repositioned on top of the bumper to support the hand crank.

Does that bracket need to be used to hand start the engine?

I have no inclination to do that though when we got the truck on of the 1st things we bought was a hand crank.

As mentioned the hand crank makes is easier to set points and adjust valves. Problem with our crank is too short to clear the bumper so the most we can turn the engine over is 180 at a time.
As long as you're not starting it with a crank too short. Sounds like a recipe for disaster if it kicks back.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0