| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Shaffer's1950, 1 invisible),
117
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,464 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2015 Posts: 6 | Hi, New to forum, my first post actually. I have a 49 Chevy 3600 long bed, that my wife's grandfather purchased new, that's 67 years in the family. I have a 59, 235 to put in it but she wants a V8, so a V8 it is. Looking to do this with the stock steering and suspension, so the steering box stays. I would like to avoid the pitfalls that I might encounter with this swap. What are the best front mounts? Haven't decided on trans yet, but probably a t/h350. Exhaust manifolds or headers? Been a while since I did a engine swap but I remember lots of problems arise.Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2000 Posts: 112 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2000 Posts: 112 | Maybe this page will help a little. Jbennett | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | A word of caution. If you're going to make it go fast be sure to make it whoa fast as well. Pay attention to (modernize) the brakes.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | You do not, repeat, DO NOT have to re-locate the steering box. Just use a 55 or 56 car 265 V8 left hand exhaust manifold. Do a search for "offset engine" and in the name box put "kahoys". He did a very sanitary install with a good description and pictures. You can get a V8 mount set up from Chassis Engineering if you don't want to fab your own.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | I like the mounts from Chassis Engineering as seen here. Bolt in or weld in. I also keep my 1/2 ton front axle. I'd also recommend a 700R4 rather than a 350 if you can get your hands on one....or some other like a 400. The 350 tranny doesn't have OD so rpms will be higher...or you'll need a higher rear ring and pinion ..... and on and on and on.
The guys in Hi Po Forum can help you a lot on this one. | | |
| |
| |