The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Shade Baby), 152 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,214
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1136032 11/24/2015 6:10 AM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
I have a 59 gmc 2 ton. It has 20" rims and I cant figure out which type of rims it has. Ive looked in the tech tips and read Griggs post about different rims but I cant determine what these are. None of the rims in the tech tips appear to have this two inch ring aroud the outer part of the rim. Here are pics of the front, rear and the inside of the front rim. I dont have any pics of the rims with the tires dismounted. I havent touched the wheels since I got the truck (two weeks ago) in fear of not knowing what rims these are and how dangerous these rims can be. I know that the rh5's are the widow makers and are dangerous but what about other types. Specifically
these. Thanks

[IMG]http://i1380.photobucket.com/a...14_135453_zpsamvgyrz5.jpg~original[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1380.photobucket.com/a...14_135515_zpscgycl3lq.jpg~original[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1380.photobucket.com/a...14_135737_zpsbkbckuji.jpg~original[/IMG]

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
They look like 6 hole stud piloted R-H5° which were very common in those days.

bcgmc #1136037 11/24/2015 10:08 AM
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 36
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 36
Hello bcgmc,

I think those are the true "widow makers" R-H5

A must read here - http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wheels/


1947.2 Chevy 2-Ton 161". Motor- 1962 235cid
bcgmc #1136043 11/24/2015 12:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
New guy,

Unfortunately they are definitely the Firestone RH5's. My trucks use the same 6 lug Budd pattern as yours. I have found that this lug pattern was used on many Ford, Dodge, IHC, GMC 2 ton trucks and buses from the 1940's to 70's. Widen your search and you should be able to find some safer split rims. Find your nearest old timey junk yard and look at the old school buses that the owner uses for dry storage...those buses are often great donors.

Others have mentioned the 22 inch tubeless rims, but I have had more luck hunting unicorns.


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Thanks for the bad news guys lol. Paul that unicorn is an elusive animal. I think I will be swapping the rear to an 8 lug and I will do griggs p30 swap on the front.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
22.5" 6 lug Budd wheels are not "Unicorns" in my experience. If you want them you can find them, I have bought and sold a few sets myself.

I'd think hard about swapping an 8 lug (on 6.5"?) rear axle under a big truck. Might want something rated close to the original axle.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Those same school busses also had 22.5" rims which are the direct replacement for your 20" wheels...keep looking, they are out there.

A 10.00 x 22.5 is the exact replacement for your 9.00 x 20's.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
Originally Posted by Grigg
22.5" 6 lug Budd wheels are not "Unicorns" in my experience. If you want them you can find them, I have bought and sold a few sets myself.

I'd think hard about swapping an 8 lug (on 6.5"?) rear axle under a big truck. Might want something rated close to the original axle.

I am going to replace the suspension with a 1 ton suspension as well. Not just do an 8 lug on the 2 ton springs. I have no need for 2 ton suspension or 2 speed axle. I'm turning my 2 ton into a 1 ton. Would that be ok? Im going to do the p30 swap in the front.

Last edited by bcgmc; 11/24/2015 4:29 PM.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
It's your truck, your call. Just try to think about what you want from the truck and keep that in mind as you go along so you get there in the end.

My opinion; big trucks/big fenders with little tires look odd. If that might also look odd to you then mock it up with the new tire size in the fender first and see how it suits you.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Originally Posted by Grigg
My opinion; big trucks/big fenders with little tires look odd.

I think that's why he was looking for smaller fenders in one of his other posts.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
bcgmc #1136491 11/26/2015 11:20 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
There are D-60's out there w/ that bolt pattern(6) w/ matching front axles(22.5")look for airport buses, school buses ambulances. 16, 19.5" tires look undernourished w/ 20" fenders
Like Grigg says.


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 45
I've decided to keep my big fenders and wheels. I'm trtying to find wheels. Can someone clear something up for me? Reading the tech tip about wheels there is alot mentioned about 10 lug 7.25 pattern. I know this may be a dumb question but will these fit my 6 lug pattern?

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
No they will not.

But you're in a better situation with your more common and widely used 6 lug Budd wheels. 22.5" tubeless wheels were available and can still be found on all sorts of vehicles and makes.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
The rims you are looking for are about 6-3/4" wide between the tire bead flanges. These rims were available 8-1/2" wide, but that's to wide for your truck...

Tire size will more than likely be 10.00 x 22.5" (exact replacement for 9.00 x 20").

Happy Hunting!

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
B
Moderated
Moderated
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
bcgmc I have....

Last edited by Grigg; 12/01/2015 5:36 AM. Reason: See next post, thanks
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Hi,"blowin smoke",and Welcome! I'd send you a P.M.,but you're still moderated,so I have to put this in plain view! I'm grateful,that you have rims available,and are willing to help a guy out,but,PLEASE Follow the "Bolt" Guidelines! If you have parts for sale,PLEASE post in the "Classifieds" section. This'll keep you out of trouble! PLEASE read the "Guidelines",in the "Welcome" section! THANKS!!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0