Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,099 Posts1,056,501 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | I have an original truck jack but feel a bit leery using it especially on a slope. Considered a small hydraulic jack (same as the big ones on wheels) and am wondering if anyone has another idea. I have a jack from my soon to be scrapped 81 Malibu and was considering welding a u-shaped bracket on it which would straddle the springs. Any thoughts? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | I carry (from truck to truck) a Sears Craftsman hydraulic floor jack with stands (in a carrying case). I do not know if they still sell it. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | I know that they did have them but can no longer find them. I have seen the aluminum "NASCAR" jacks but they are pricey. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | That is what I am looking for. And the case is a bonus too! Thanks | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Auto Zone and Advance Auto use to have them, in the case, on sale but haven't seen them in the case for a while. Need to find one close by or the shipping will eat you up.... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | I see Amazon has a small 2 ton unit without the case for about $35.00 including shipping. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 | WalMart, Target and most any Flaps will have one in a case for easy storage. Very popular when the Manufacturers stopped putting jacks in the new cars.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | When did manufacturers stop putting jacks in new cars??? There is a jack under the rear seat in my extended cab.
dg
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2014 Posts: 924 | I carry (from truck to truck) a Sears Craftsman hydraulic floor jack with stands (in a carrying case). I do not know if they still sell it. I do what Tim does. One flat tire on the side of I-65 with the wife & kid was enough to know I'd rather make space for a real jack than fool with what's in the vehicle just to meet regulations. Brad Wrench Fetcher, PhD | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | I checked the "comments" on the Amazon mini 2 ton jack and although most said it was suitable they commented that if it was used on a slope like the side of the road it may be unstable and in some cases twisted. Furthermore the small wheels would dig into the ground and although the manufacture advertises it as a 2 ton jack it has trouble lifting the vehicle if its bigger than a light one. The only reason I want one is to change a flat if need be and inevitably it would mean the truck would be on a side of the road slope. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | You would have to be careful with any jack being used when the vehicle is on a slope. Advice from the Gecko. "Step-by-step guide: . . . 2. If you have a choice, pull as far off the road as possible and on the flattest and firmest ground you see. The more level and solid the ground, the better. 3.Call for help if you are in an emergency lane or center lane on a main street or highway. It is not safe for you to work on the vehicle unless you are well off the road with plenty of room to work. If your only option is a soft surface, do not attempt to jack up your vehicle as this can pose major safety concerns. Call for help." | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Agree. That is all common sense. In fact I would rather run on a flat and ruin it rather than take a chance and change it in a dangerous situation. I mostly drive on one lane (each direction) roads as freeways are rare in this area. I also carry a safety vest which I would wear if I was changing a tire. I actually bought it to wear cycling but feel it is more like a target given some of the "asleep at the switch" drivers here! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 | In fact I would rather run on a flat and ruin it rather than take a chance and change it in a dangerous situation. Me too. I also carry one of those old-style screw jacks that can act as a jack stand if necessary. This kind.It came with a '69 Ferd half-ton and I kept it. I put a piece of 18"x18", 3/4" plywood under it for more stability. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | I have a similar unit but its a bottle jack. Bought it initially for the truck but still afraid to use it. The plywood base is an excellent idea. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 | Forgot to mention, the plywood also acts as a "load spreader", especially on soft ground.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 | Denny, guess I should have said "Safe Jack"! I wouldn't trust a jack furnished by a car maker now days for sure.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 Gas Pumper | | Gas Pumper Joined: Dec 2000 Posts: 3,399 | Maybe if you get a flat, just call THE GUY! muahahaha! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Maybe if you get a flat, just call THE GUY! muahahaha! That is my Plan A. I have free road service and free 125 mile trailer tow in my insurance policy. | | |
| |