The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Southerntruck, Gray_Ghost, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny, JW51, MRMEROTH11, Mike Burns, KEVINSKI), 77 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,396
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2
I have done a frame up re store and now looking to get a title BUT the vin plate was gone and I only found an S stamped on a cross member is the vin # stamped some were that I missed ?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I may not be much help but many times the older vehicles had the engine number as the vin number on the title but it appears you don't have a title yet?? Also not sure where the vin would be located on the '31. On a door pillar, on the right side cowl under the hood??
I'm not much help but someone else will be along shortly and help you..... and I'm not sure about the laws in Il. about getting a title. Maybe check with the local DMV.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

A serial number was supposedly on a plate on the dash (right side?).

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 69
D
dx3 Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 69
I was told that back then it was only ever posted on the door jamb. Also the engine code was different than the VIN. I have a highway patrol officer coming to my house next week to try and find a VIN somewhere on my 1950. If he locates it, I'll let you know where. Good luck!


1950 Chevy 3600 w/ 54 235 motor
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The 1950 codes are in different locations than 1931 codes (that Rick W asked about).

- 1931 truck serial number location
- 1931 engine serial number was just a sequence-number (the starting number for that year is shown)
- if you want to know how high the number went in 1931, you'd need to look up the 1932 starting serial number.

----------

In 1950, the Vehicle Serial Number is on the cab (between the hinges on the driver's side) and the Engine Serial Number is pressed into the block to the rear of the distributor.

There is/was no true VIN.

Either of the above codes could have been used for titling and/or for registration.

Unfortunately, the engine code was often used. If your engine got changed, you are SOL, unless someone put the original engine code on the replacement engine.

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 69
D
dx3 Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by tclederman
In 1950, the Vehicle Serial Number is on the cab (between the hinges on the driver's side) and the Engine Serial Number is pressed into the block to the rear of the distributor.

There is/was no true VIN.

Either of the above codes could have been used for titling and/or for registration.

Unfortunately, the engine code was often used. If your engine got changed, you are SOL, unless someone put the original engine code on the replacement engine.

Tim - you're a wealth of information, thank you! Wish you weren't so far away.


1950 Chevy 3600 w/ 54 235 motor

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0