The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 170 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1087195 02/22/2015 5:01 AM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 122
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 122
The threaded collar at the rear of the torque tube ball collar (see link to picture below) keeps backing out, resulting in a transmission leak. Any suggestions on how to make this thing stay put?

http://lymanhall.smugmug.com/Trucks/1953-Chevrolet-3100-Truck/i-PHq3jZm/0/L/Ball%20Collar-L.jpg

I can't find a torque value for tightening the collar, and have been using a pair of soft-jaw (curved-jaw) channel-locks. It gets loose after only a few miles' driving.

Thanks


1953 Chevrolet 3104 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
put some thread locker (locktite) on it and let it sit overnight.

Note: Not sure on your model but most of these collars have a steel washer that goes in the screw cap, then the felt/cork gasket and then another steel washer. The felt/cork gasket gets squashed between the two steel washers as you tighten up the collar which helps it stay in place and keeps it from leaking.

Hope this helps...if all is good then you may want to "stake" the collar a little with a punch???


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 122
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 122
Thanks AC, I think I'll try a couple rounds of teflon tape first and if that doesn't go I'll try the Loctite.


1953 Chevrolet 3104 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
I wouldn't bother with the Teflon tape. Go with the suggested Loctite. I suggest Loctite PST (Pipe Sealant with Teflon). Does wonders.



Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0