The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, Cletus1950, Wayne67vert), 198 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,217
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1069706 11/22/2014 7:54 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
Hello everyone! My names Neil and I'm new to the forum. I'm preparing to put together (not restore!) My dad's 1946 Chevy 1/2 ton. To sum up quickly he bought this truck in the early 80s and drove it daily until the late 80s. He completely dismantled the truck to do a frame off resto (don't fix it ain't broken!) I was born shortly after and the project stopped. In a nut shell what I'm left with is all the parts needed to put the truck together, just like a big puzzle. This hasn't been touched in 25 years and I've been obsessed with the truck since I was a teenager. Basically I was to build it exactly the way it was 25 years ago, which was pretty much all factory. I plan to overhaul the 216 bone stock and use the original gear box. I'm very mechanically inclined, but I like in electrical and wiring. Looking forward to talking and exchanging ideas!

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Hi Neil, I think there are quite a few 46s here on the site. They certainly are nice looking trucks and I wish you all the best in getting her back together. All the knowledge you need is here, just have to ask. There are more cornhuskers here, you might just meet some if you hang around.
Leo

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Neil,
Tried to send you a private message but you are over your limit. You need to clean out your in box.
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
He only has one post. I don't think he can receive PM's yet.

Neil,
Welcome to the Bolt! Lots of good advice and help here. Good luck with your project. I love '46's. I grew up with a '46 1 ton long box pickup.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
Welcome to the Stovebolt Page!


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Welcome Wacky Captaion to the STovebolt page. You will find just what you need right here in the forums. Don't be afraid to ask questions and thank you for deciding to save/rebuild the truck rather than call the scrap man. That 46 is a nice model and you will not be sorry.
Post up a picture when you can.


....and it is correct that you cannot send or receive PM's (private messages) until you have made at least 4 post. New members are "moderated" the first 4 post to insure we get no scammers/spammers. See ya around the garage and as Leo says, watch for other cornhuskers. In fact, I chatted with a cornhusker bolters last night. Good luck.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks everyone! I always found forums to be the best source of information, looking forward to talking with all of you. I will try to make more posts, so my PM will open up. Glad to know there's a few Husker fans on here as well!

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
Howdy Captain,

I'm a fellow 46er - check my signature line - been driving her since 1985. Let me know if I can offer a hand in answering '46 related questions. There are lots of more experienced folks on this site than me, but I know some stuff that's directly related to your year of truck. I can also offer pictures of how things go together if you get stuck.

Good luck,

David

Last edited by David Bush; 11/28/2014 6:00 PM.
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks again everyone. I know ill have tons of questions as I move forward.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
Hello Cap,

Welcome to the "Bolt" from a fellow Nebraskan (and Husker fan). I'm anxious to see some pics.

John

Last edited by J Lucas; 11/30/2014 3:53 AM.

~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 24
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 24
'46 owner here .. in the middle of a frame off of a truck very similar to yours. Message me with any questions. Look on the side of your oil pan on that 216 - if it is stamped, "235", you have an early 235 (they look identical to the 216 on the outside) -- have fun!! One teensy bit of advice: go ALL NEW on brakes - shoes, springs, cylinders incl master, AND all brake lines. You may thank me later :o) smile


Stovebolts are like women; as they mellow with age, it's harder to get 'em to turn over on a cold morning, but once they're warmed up, LOOK OUT!

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0