The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Otto Skorzeny, MNSmith), 77 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,338
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
On my 53, while reinstalling the center piece on the windshield the top small bracket that fills the gap between the wind shield trim does not lay flat like the bottom one. They both have the same angle. I removed these pieces over a year ago and they have been in a protected area so have not been damaged. I can't figure what I am doing wrong.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a506/53Movinon/IMG_2112_zps074838bd.jpg
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a506/53Movinon/IMG_2111_zpsdbf54ca6.jpg

Last edited by 53Movinon; 08/28/2014 8:17 PM.
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
After looking at this again, I suspect that the windshield trim must have a gap at the top to maybe accept part of the headliner? When I reinstalled the w.s. trim I tightened it down flush to the metal behind it as shown. The truck did not have a headliner when I got it. There might have been some rubber shims like the bottom has, but I don't recall seeing any. Any suggestions?

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
The two pieces should not have the same shape. Maybe one of yours was bent for some reason. Maybe simply bend it back to where it belongs.

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
David, it was never bent since I've had it. It looks too perfect to be accidently bent. Would you tell me if the w.s. interior trim on your truck is screwed fast to the wide metal strip behind it? If you or anyone has a good picture I could probably figure it out. Thanks for your reply, and would like to hear from more of you guys. Steve

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
New rubber? I had a heck of a time getting that piece back on my 53.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
If I got it right, that is, what you're asking about, I don't think
the trim pieces fit was all that good when it was delivered back
in '53. Remember, these were utilitarian vehicles, not show pieces.
This is all original, taint been restored, refit or repainted.
Top: http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/157186822
Bottom: http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/157186823

dg


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Thank you Denny! I was hoping you would respond with a good clear picture. I enlarged the pic of the top and it looks like he headliner tucks in under the windshield trim a tad. That would make it somewhat tighter at the top where the bracket meets the headliner I think. Of course I could always bend it I suppose once the h.liner was in place. Steve

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
Installing the center windshield trim (inside to outside) was one of the more difficult tasks on the truck assembly process. Patience is required for sure. The top and bottom trim clips were different from another on my truck.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Now I gotta go back and reinstall mine. I put them over the center trim. And they fit just fine. They may have been tweaked some over time but they fit over the center trim just fine. My mirror mount is "T" shaped and covers the top at the headliner gap rather well. So since it would mean fitting into the center trim, PITA. I think on second thought, I will leave it alone. I found mine in one of the boxes of parts the PO gave me when the truck was bought. So when they fit on the outside of the center trim I thought it was how they went.


Steve H
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
I still don't know if I need to leave the top part of the windshield trim with a gap for the headliner to tuck in.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
It won't really matter, since the poor-fitting and soon to shrink cardboard will leave gaps all over the place, in my experience.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Yep what 52Carl said. i had the headliner in before I finished the trim. It was easy and self explanatory. When you start with a empty cab some things just lay into place and others...well, you know where to ask questions. I am impressed and thankful for the sharing of tips and information on this site.


Steve H
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Hey 52Carl, what are the choices besides cardboard and fiberglass? I don't like the idea of the second option for a original truck and cardboard sounds really cheap and difficult to install. Does this sound like a common question? Someone must make one that is better than the ones above.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
When/if I ever get around to restoring my 50, I plan on taking notes where the poorly fitting areas are due to shrinkage, and make my own headliner with the appropriate corrections.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Same idea here that Carl is planing. I'm going to use my original
one and leave an allowance for shrinkage to be trimmed when I
fit it up. I'm going to use panel board that the upholstery
shops use for door panels and such. It's about the same weight
as the original. Only problem with it is getting the color right.

I've bought one from Jim Carter and one from Classic Parts of Am.
Both are different patterns and made of thin cardboard, much
thinner than the original.

dg



Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Thanks Denny. I am going to check some upholstery shops for that panel board.The only problem is I need a pattern. Steve

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
52Carl What kind of material will you use?

Last edited by 53Movinon; 09/03/2014 8:44 PM.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
I bought (and ruined) two sets - one from JC and another one from a local supplier.
I finally bought a set from bowtie_bits on eBay and it fit perfectly. I modified the installation procedure slightly from what I read in the tech tips and it went in beautifully within about 2 minutes. I know we are not supposed to endorse a supplier here but, this head liner is absolutely the best repro I have come across. Supposedly made in America from the original dies.


1951 Chevy 3100 5-Window
"Howard"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
Originally Posted by 53Movinon
52Carl What kind of material will you use?
Whatever my adoptive great-half-step-uncle-Denny-in-law once removed, recommends.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
That Peter isn't an endorsement, it's a report, and although I'm
incapable of being a moderator with my temperament, I'd say
report away. Other wise how are we to know where to find the
best bang for our buck.

What I've used for the glove box that I made for my '50, (had to
burn the poor fitting "cardboard ones the vendors sold") was as
I posted, panel board or backer board.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/glove_compartment
Here is just one example of a source for it:
http://www.perfectfit.com/15347/154...Black-Treated-Waterproof-Panelboard.html
It was the standard years ago in the auto upholstery shops when
they needed a ridged backing. It is still used for many projects
today but many shops are using a plastic backer as it has the
advantage that it can be heated and formed to fit.

Do a search for it on the net and you'll spend the rest of the
day surfing.
Here's a detailed tutorial on using the backer board which could
also apply to a headliner:
http://www.hotrodders.com/scratch-built/Upholstery:_Interior_Panels

I know we have some upholsterers here on the bolt, hopefully
one or some will jump in and get their feet wet.

DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 09/04/2014 3:29 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
U
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 924
Denny, will you chime in on 53movinon's other headliner thread?

I haven't put enough thought into my idea for a headliner to recommend anything at all, but these two threads are moving parallel to each other. Thanks.

Brad


Wrench Fetcher, PhD
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 815
Thanks once more Denny. It's kinda interesting where this post started and what it morphed into. I Googled both of these sites last nite. Perfect F. caught my eye as well as the other one you posted. Thanks to every one else who replied. Now all I need is a pattern! Steve


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0