The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 129 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
Hey I know there is a million posts on this but when I search I can't seem to find the one I'm looking for anymore. I thought I had read here that you could still use your 6v generator with a 12v system? Is this correct?. Also do I need a ballast resistor even if I'm replacing the points with a electronic ignition system? Not really sure what the ballast resistor is for between the ignition switch and the coil but I'm assuming that is what it is for.Thanks

Paul

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
You will need to switch to a 12-volt generator or have your's rebuilt with the proper coils. I will leave the ballast resistor thing alone as that has been debated ad nauseam.

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
I have a 12 volt generator just not sure of the condition that's why I asked on that one. It's a little bit of a travel for someone to work on it here in Milwaukee. Alot of places won't touch it . I'm still searching the posts for the one were someone was talking about using the 6v gen on a 12 v system.

Last edited by Miltown; 05/04/2014 3:34 AM.
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Only way to make a 6 volt genny work at 12 volts would require the armature to be replaced and the field coils to be replaced. At that point you have more into it than a 12 genny would cost. It might need different bushings if the armature is a different dia. So get the 12 volt genny. And a 12 volt regulator.


Steve H

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0