The "art" and "craft" of understanding our old trucks and the ability to work on them and have others share in the experience is what its all about here. Everyone has a different comfort level as to what he or she wants to do, but with the help of others strides forward have been taken by many people who come here. I know that I take pride in offering advise and insight to others to accomplish the task that they are dealing with at the time. For anyone to discount the time and effort it takes to do things and end up with a good result have no place around here. I'm not saying a person can't disagree, just don't talk stupid. As they say, "you can't fix stupid".
So back to the original topic, "Rebuild vs. replacing my 235". Lots of good advise has been given here, just don't take one persons banter and have it rain on your parade. Good Luck. Don