For comparison, I had my six rebuilt (bored 0.030 over w/ mild cam and modified for full pressure oiling) for $1600.
I was wondering how did you got it done for that price? I did most of the work myself and if I could have gotten it rebuilt for that I would have loved it. I hope I was not taken to the cleaners.
Here is my break down of my 235 rebuild.
Parts:
gasket set 80, intake valves 65, exhaust valves 49, guides 28, hardened seats 18, valve springs 36, 261 stock cam shaft 100, freeze plugs 10, lifters 110, push rods 36, pistons .030 150, rings .030 50, cam bearings 25, cam thrust plate 10, thermostat 8, main cap bearings 72, rod bearings 54, Asbestos rear main seal 15, plugs 6, wires 20. timing gear set 50. That's 992 in just parts.
Machine shop costs:
Install freeze plugs 25, hot tank block and magnaflux 150, press on cam gear 20, press on crank gear 15, recondition rods 65, connect pistons to rods 35, resurface fly wheel 35, polish and turn crankshaft -.010 x -.010 125, valve job 285, bore and hone .030 block 165, rebuild rocker assembly 65. That's another 985. Drum roll for a total of 1927 usd.
Plus here is what I did extra to make sure that everything was new I maybe have been able to use some of the old stuff but I knew the carb would have to been rebuilt and the oil pump too so I just replaced all of these things and to give it a few more ponies. the oil pump 62, water pump 78, fuel pump with glass bowl 50, Fenton intake 2x1 manifold 180, Fenton exhaust split manifold 200, Mini HEI 185, polished air cleaners and filters 90, carb adapters 1x2 30, C/W progressive 2 bbl carbs 180, water heat for manifold fittings and thick plate 40, carb accelerator linkages and other linkages 85, alternator to a 12 SI free which I save from another car, paint 20. Plus all the sealants, hoses, adhesives and little stuff and I had a bunch of stuff chromed plus had the radiator serviced too. It was fun rebuilding but the 235 is not cheap.
Well I was not going to go into so much detail of what I paid but I wanted to give moonshyne an idea, then he could pick what he actually needs to have done versus a total rebuild. Mine was locked up and frozen really in bad shape. It had an inch of grease, mud, dirt, and critters all over it. Oh I forgot the expense of the tools, engine stand, cherry picker and losing the space in your garage was another thing but now I have all the tools and did not mind losing the space. I would not have traded this experience for anything.
Good luck what you decide to do.